USDA Seeks Applications for Grants to Help Repair Housing in Rural Communities

(802) 828-6080

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is seeking applications for grants to make housing repairs for low- and very-low-income rural residents. The grants are being provided through USDA Rural Development’s Housing Preservation Grant program.

Housing Preservation Grants help rural homeowners and rental housing owners repair and improve their properties. Funds may be used to resolve health or safety issues, make accessibility modifications for people with disabilities, or make energy-efficiency improvements to lower utility costs.

Eligible New Hampshire and Vermont applicants include municipalities, public agencies, nonprofit and faith-based organizations. USDA does not provide funding directly to homeowners under this program. For additional eligibility information, see page 25228 of the June 1, 2017 Federal Register.

USDA provided Housing Preservation Grants to seven Vermont and New Hampshire organizations in 2016 helping preserve housing for 58 families. Recipients included: Southwestern Community Service (NH), Tri-County Community Action (NH), the Vermont Center for Independent Living (VT), Southeastern Vermont Community Action (VT), Gilman Housing Trust (VT), Northeast Employment and Training Organization (VT), and the Vermont Housing and Conservation Board (VT).

Applications are due on July 17, 2017. Vermont applicants should contact Housing Specialist Jill Chapman at (802) 828-6022 or . New Hampshire applicants should contact Housing Specialist Ivone Feliciano at (603) 223-6050 or .

USDA supports housing preservation as part of its mission to improve the quality of life in rural America. In 2016, USDA Rural Development helped 5,771 Vermont and New Hampshire families obtain and preserve safe and affordable housing. This June, USDA Rural Development is celebrating housing as the bedrock of rural economic development as part of Homeownership Month.

Last Modified: 06/05/2017