Investments will Help 14 Businesses Boost Their Bottom Line
Deputy Under Secretary for Rural Development Donald “DJ” LaVoy today announced that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is investing $237 million to help farmers, ag producers and rural-based businesses lower energy costs. The Department is providing 640 awards to applicants in all 50 states, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the Western Pacific. USDA is providing the funding through the Rural Energy for America Program (REAP).
“Businesses grow and create more jobs when their energy costs are lower,” LaVoy said. “Under the leadership of President Trump and Agriculture Secretary Perdue, USDA is committed to being a strong partner to rural businesses, because we know that when rural America thrives, all of America thrives.”
USDA Rural Development State Director Denise Lovelady said, “Investing in Delaware and Maryland’s rural businesses by funding renewable energy systems and energy efficient improvements helps rural businesses increase profits and reduce operating costs. I am delighted Rural Development can help bolster rural economies through its business programs.”
Recipients can use REAP funding for energy audits and to install renewable energy systems such as biomass, geothermal, hydropower and solar. The funding can also be used to increase energy efficiency by making improvements to heating, ventilation and cooling systems; insulation; and lighting and refrigeration.
In Maryland and Delaware, 14 businesses have been selected to receive a total of $978,334:
- DE: Carey Farms, Inc. $93,750 Installing a Solar Array System
- DE: Fox Chase, LLC $98,531 Installing a Solar Array System
- DE: GC Farms, Inc $49,999 Installing a Solar Array System
- DE: Annalyn Farm Inc. $67,500 Installing a Solar Array System
- DE: Haven Farms, LLC $121,555 Installing a Solar Array System
- DE: REM Farms, LLC $23,196 Installing a Solar Array System
- DE: Skotta Jr. William F. $120,978 Installing a Solar Array System
- DE: Tri-Oak Famrs Inc. $75,905 Installing a Solar Array System
- MD: Flintrock Corporation $61,250 Installing a Solar Array System
- MD: Florence Germain $29,568 Installing a Solar Array System
- MD: R & R Aquafarms, LLC $46,225 Installing a Solar Array System
- MD: Samuel T. Parker $118,000 Installing a Solar Array System
- MD: Teddy Bear Fresh Produce LLC $44,541$ Upgrade Refrigeration & Lighting
- MD: Woodvale Partners, LLC $27,336 Installing a Solar Array System
For more information on the Rural Energy for America (REAP) Program, contact Letitia Nichols, Business Programs Director, at (302) 857-3588 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
USDA Rural Development provides loans and grants to help expand economic opportunities and create jobs in rural areas. This assistance supports infrastructure improvements; business development; housing; community facilities such as schools, public safety and health care; and high-speed internet access in rural areas. For more information, visit www.rd.usda.gov/de or www.rd.usda.gov/md.