Farm Labor Housing Direct Loans & Grants in California




August 30, 2019

What does this program do?
It provides affordable financing to develop housing for year-round and migrant or seasonal domestic farm laborers. (1)

Who may apply for this program?
This program assists qualified applicants that cannot obtain commercial credit on terms that will allow them to charge rents that are affordable to low-income tenants. Borrowers must have sufficient qualifications and experience to develop and operate the project. Qualified applicants include:

  • Farmers, associations of farmers and family farm corporations
  • Associations of farmworkers and nonprofit organizations*
  • Most State and local governmental entities*
  • Federally-recognized Tribes*

*Eligible to apply for grants and loans

What is an eligible area?
Housing may be constructed in urban or rural areas, as long as there is a demonstrated need.

How may funds be used?
Construction, improvement, repair and purchase of housing for domestic farm laborers is the primary objective of this program.

Funding may also be available for related activities including:

  • Buying and improve land
  • Purchasing household furnishings
  • Paying construction loan interest
  • For a complete list see 7 CFR 3560.53.

Who may live in the rental housing?

  • Domestic farm laborers, including those working on fish and oyster farms and on-farm processing (1)
  • Retired and/or disabled farm laborers
  • Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
  • Very-low- to moderate-income households (2)

What kinds of funding are available?

  • Low interest loans
  • Grants based on need and may not exceed 90% of project cost

What are the loan terms?

  • Up to 33 year payback period
  • 1% fixed rate
  • An allocation of loan funds is also available for on-farm labor housing and is funded on a first-come, first-served basis
  • Contact your local RD office for details applicable for your project

How do we get started?
A two-phase application process starts with pre-applications accepted on an annual basis through a Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) in the Federal Register. Selected pre-applications are invited to submit final applications

Who can answer questions?
Contact your RD State office  or you can find Rural Rental Properties

What governs this program?

NOTE: Because citations and other information may be subject to change please always consult the program instructions listed in the section above titled "What Law Governs this Program?" You may also contact your local office for assistance.

(1) Domestic farm laborer: A person who receives a portion of his/her income from farm labor employment. This definition may include the immediate family members residing with such a person.

(2) Very-low to moderate-income: Very-low income is below 50% of area median income; low-income is 50-80% of area median income; moderate income is capped at $5,500 above low-income limit.

NOTE: If state-specific forms are not shown above, please refer to the application materials listed below to start the process of applying. Please ensure that your state is selected in the dropdown menu above to find the State Office contact information for this program and speak to a Housing Programs Specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you valuable time in the process.

Fiscal Year 2019 Pre-application for Section 514/516 Farm Labor Housing (FLH) Loans and Grants:  The application period for fiscal year 2019 has ended as of August 30, 2019.

FLH Pre-applications received for the FY 2019 Notice


Funding available in FY 2019 for the FLH Notice for Loan and Grant applications:

  • FLH Loan (514):  $27,000,000
  • FLH Grant (516):   $8,000,000

Funding available for the Technical Assistance (TA) NOSA that was published on June 23, 2016 is as follows, with one grant for each of the three geographic regions:

  • Eastern Region:  $250,000
  • Central Region:   $250,000
  • Western Region: $250,000
National Architect Requirements:

Individual states may have particular requirements based on state and local regulations. Please contact the state office in the state where your project is located.

National Engineering Requirements:

Individual states may have particular requirements based on state and local regulations. Please contact the state office in the state where your project is located.

National Environmental Requirements:

Rural Development environmental requirements can be found here: RD 1970 Environmental Policies and Procedures. Benefits of the 1970 environmental regulations are described here: 7 CFR 1970 Benefits.

There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.

There are currently no events scheduled.

State Office:

Main Phone Number: (530) 792-5800

USDA Rural Development
Attn: Multi-Family Housing
430 G St, Agency 4169
Davis, CA 95616

Stephen Nnodim, Acting Multi-Family Housing Program Director
(530) 792-5830

For questions and information on applying for the Farm Labor Housing program, please contact the California State Office Specialist below.

Stephanie Burgeis, MFH Specialist
(661) 281-2735

For questions regarding existing Farm Labor Housing projects, please contact your local staff below.

Local Offices:

Alturas Office: Serving Modoc County
Debbie McCoy, Area Specialist
(530) 233-4137 ext. 111

Auburn Office: Serving El Dorado, Nevada, Placer and Sierra Counties
Lorna Lorea Area Specialist
(530) 217-6250

Wanda Thompson, Area Technician
(530) 217-6249

Bakersfield Office: Serving Inyo and Kern Counties
Teresa Hogan, Area Specialist
(661) 281-2734

Stephanie Burgeis, Area Specialist
(661) 281-2735

Bonita Lawson-Burks, Area Specialist
(661) 281-2741

Davis Office: Serving Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, Contra Costa, Mono, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Solano and Yolo Counties
Zaldy Macam, Area Specialist
(530) 792-5813

Wanda Thompson Area Technician
(530) 217-6249

Eureka Office: Serving Del Norte and Humboldt Counties
Sandy Pedrotti, Area Specialist
(707) 832-5583

Fresno Office: Serving Fresno County
Mary Norton, Area Specialist
(559) 490-8034

Imperial Office: Serving Imperial County
Edgar Ortega, Area Specialist
(760) 355-2208 ext. 102

Indio Office: Serving Riverside and San Bernardino Counties
Carrie McLeod, Area Specialist
(760) 342-4624 ext. 120

Modesto Office: Serving Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Stanislaus and  Tuolumne Counties
Sara Brookes, Area Specialist
(209) 287-3639

Diane Martinez, Area Specialist
(209) 287-3654

Moreno Valley Office: Serving Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Diego Counties

Heidi Patterson, Area Specialist
(951) 902-6563

La Tasha Kendrix, Area Specialist (San Diego County)
(951) 902-6564

Oroville Office: Serving Butte, Colusa, Sutter and Yuba Counties
William Smith, Area Specialist
(530) 693-3164

Wanda Thompson Area Technician
(530) 217-6249

Redding Office: Serving Glenn, Lassen, Plumas, Shasta, Siskiyou, Tehama and Trinity Counties
Dara Pellow, Area Specialist
(530) 226-2583

Salinas Office: Serving Alameda, Monterey, San Benito, San Francisco, San Luis Obispo, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz Counties
Sylvia Barbosa, Area Specialist
(831) 975-7740

Santa Maria Office: Serving San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties

Zulema Rodriguez, Area Technician
(805) 863-9936

Santa Rosa Office: Serving Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa and Sonoma Counties
Jennifer Gooler, Area Specialist
(707) 536-0245

Visalia Office: Serving Kings and Tulare Counties
Carol Ernst, Area Specialist
(559) 754-3152