Program 101

Are applications being accepted? Yes.

Program Status: Closed.

Federal Register Notice: PDF

What does this program do?
It provides funding for up to 50 percent of the total eligible project costs for biorefineries to install renewable biomass systems for heating and power at their facilities, or to produce new energy from renewable biomass.

Who may apply?
Biorefineries in existence on or before June 18, 2008, proposing to use only renewable biomass for replacement fuel, with no outstanding delinquent federal taxes, debt, judgment or debarment (renewable biomass is further defined in 7 CFR, Part 4288.2).

How may the funds be used?
Funds may be used to pay for eligible construction costs associated with repowering improvements, such as:

  • Equipment.
  • Installation.
  • Engineering.
  • Design.
  • Site plans.
  • Fees.
  • Permits.

What are the payment award terms?

  • Payments are limited to 50% of eligible project costs.
  • Maximum award amount is published in an annual Federal Register notice.
  • Payments are based on project expenditures.
  • Payments are made once each month until 90% of the payment award is reached.
  • The final 10% of the total payment award is paid upon satisfactory completion of the project.

How do we get started?

  • Notice of Funds Availability and application deadlines are announced annually in the Federal Register.
  • Applications for this program are accepted at USDA Rural Development, Energy Division, Attention: Repowering Assistance Program, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Stop 3225, Washington, DC 20250-3225.

Who can answer questions?
Contact Fred Petok: (202) 690-0784 or

What law governs this program?

Why does USDA Rural Development do this?
This program helps increase American energy independence by increasing the private sector supply of renewable energy and decreasing the demand for fossil fuels.

NOTE: Because citations and other information may be subject to change, please always consult the program instructions listed in the section above titled “What law governs this program?” You may also contact your State Rural Development Energy Coordinator for assistance.



Forms & Resources

NOTE: Please contact Fred Petok, (202) 690-0784 or before attempting to fill out any forms or applications.

Forms & Instructions