Program 101

What does this program do?
This program provides funding to help non-profit housing and community development organizations support housing, community facilities, and community and economic development projects in rural areas.
Who may apply for this program?

  • Public bodies
  • Non-profit organizations
  • Federally Recognized Tribes 

What is an eligible area?
Rural areas including cities, villages, townships, towns and Federally Recognized Tribal Lands  outside the boundaries of a city of 50,000 or more and its immediately adjacent urbanized area .

How may funds be used?
To improve housing, community facilities, and community and economic development projects in rural areas.
Rural Community Development Initiative grants may be used for, but are not limited to:

  • Training sub-grantees to conduct:
  1. Home-ownership education
  2. Minority business entrepreneur education
  • Providing technical assistance to sub-grantees on
  1. Strategic plan development
  2. Accessing alternative funding sources
  3. Board training
  4. Developing successful child care facilities
  5. Creating training tools, such as videos, workbooks, and reference guides
  6. Effective fundraising techniques

What kind of funding is available?

  • Minimum grant award is $50,000; maximum grant award is $250,000
  • Grant funds are limited and are awarded through a competitive process

Are matching funds required?

  • Matching fund requirement equal to amount of grant
  • In-kind contributions cannot be used as matching funds
  • Partnerships with other federal, state, local, private and nonprofit entities are encouraged

How do we get started?

  • Applications are accepted on an annual basis through a Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) in the Federal Register
  • Program Resources are available online (includes forms needed, guidance, certifications etc.)

Who can answer questions?
Contact your local RD office.

What governs this program?
Code of Federal Regulation; 2 CFR 200 and Guidelines announced in NOFA, published in the Federal Register.

NOTE: Because citations and other information may be subject to change please always consult the program Instructions listed in the section above titled "What Law Governs this Program?" You may also contact your State Office RCDI Contact for assistance.

Forms & Resources

Forms For Application:  Application package can be downloaded from   CFDA 10.446

Form SF-424, Application for Federal Assistance
Form SF-424B, Assurances—Non-Construction Programs
Form AD-1047, Certification Regarding Debarment, Suspensions and Other Responsibility Matters-Primary Covered Transactions
Form AD-1048, Certification Regarding Debarments, Suspension, Ineligibility and Voluntary Exclusion-Lower Tier Covered Transactions
Form AD-1049, Certification Regarding Drug-Free Workplace Requirements
Certification of Non-Lobbying Activities
Standard Form LLL, Disclosure of Lobbying Activities
Form RD 400-4, Assurance Agreement

For more information about this program, or to file an application, contact the Rural Development State Office RCDI Contact.