Attention Lenders: Loan volume remains heavy in fiscal year 2016 for California's Guaranteed Loan Program. Current turn time is 3-4 business days for GUS loan submissions and 7-10 business days for manual submissions. Business days exclude weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and all federal holidays. Please schedule processing times accordingly. Rush requests will not be honored. Loans are reviewed in the order they are received. Please submit new loan submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program Status: Open
What does this program do?
This program assists approved lenders in providing low- and moderate-income households the opportunity to own adequate, modest, decent, safe and sanitary dwellings as their primary residence in eligible rural areas. Eligible applicants may build, rehabilitate, improve or relocate a dwelling in an eligible rural area. The program provides a 90% loan note guarantee to approved lenders in order to reduce the risk of extending 100% loans to eligible rural homebuyers.
Who may apply for this program?
- Meet income-eligibility
- Agree to personally occupy the dwelling as their primary residence
- Be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. non-citizen national or Qualified Alien
- Have the legal capacity to incur the loan obligation
- Have not been suspended or debarred from participation in federal programs
- Demonstrate the willingness to meet credit obligations in a timely manner
- Purchase a property that meets all program criteria
What is an eligible area?
Check eligible addresses for the loan guarantees.
How may funds be used?
Funds backed by loan guarantees be used for:
- New or existing residential property to be used as a permanent residence. Closing cost and reasonable/customary expenses associated with the purchase may be included in the transaction
- A site with a new or existing dwelling
- Repairs and rehabilitation when associated with the purchase of an existing dwelling
- Refinancing of eligible loans
- Special design features or permanently installed equipment to accommodate a household member who has a physical disability
- Reasonable and customary connection fees, assessments or the pro rata installment cost for utilities such as water, sewer, electricity and gas for which the buyer is liable
- A pro rata share of real estate taxes that is due and payable on the property at the time of loan closing. Funds can be allowed for the establishment of escrow accounts for real estate taxes and/or hazard and flood insurance premiums
- Essential household equipment such as wall-to-wall carpeting, ovens, ranges, refrigerators, washers, dryers, heating and cooling equipment as long as the equipment is conveyed with the dwelling
- Purchasing and installing measures to promote energy efficiency (e.g. insulation, double-paned glass and solar panels)
- Installing fixed broadband service to the household as long as the equipment is conveyed with the dwelling
- Site preparation costs, including grading, foundation plantings, seeding or sod installation, trees, walks, fences and driveways
How do we get started?
Applicants must contact an approved lender. Applicants can review a partial list of approved lenders and information about all of the approved lenders in your state can be obtained by contacting your state’s Guaranteed Loan Coordinator.
What governs this program?
Why does USDA Rural Development do this?
This program helps lenders work with low and moderate income families living in rural areas to make homeownership a reality. Providing affordable homeownership opportunities promotes prosperity, which in turn creates thriving communities and improves the quality of life in rural areas.
NOTE: Because citations and other information may be subject to change please always consult the program instructions listed in the section above titled "What Law Governs this Program?" You may also contact your local office for assistance.
Forms & Resources
Interested applicants are encouraged to contact their local mortgage lenders to inquire about applying for the guaranteed loan. USDA does not endorse any specific private sector lenders. This list of Nationally Approved Lenders is not inclusive of all participating lenders.
Income limits (pdf) are dependent upon location of the home, and the number of persons residing in the home.
NOTE: Please ensure to that your state is selected in the dropdown menu above to contact a Guaranteed Loan Coordinator in your state for more information.
USDA Rural Development does not directly offer workout plans to distressed homeowners in the Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan Program as USDA is not a financial lending institution. We urge any customer with a guaranteed loan seeking assistance to contact their mortgage servicing lender immediately to determine their eligibility for potential work out options. Examples of work out options include but are not limited to: Informal Forbearance, Special Forbearance, Loan Modification, Special Loan Servicing and Pre-Foreclosure Sale. The customer service number for the servicing lender is typically included with the mortgage statement or at their online internet address.
- All the necessary forms for this program are available on the USDA Service Center Agencies e-forms site.
- Access Lender Applications, as well as training and documentation, are available on the Lender Interactive Network Connection (LINC)
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Handbook (pdf) are also available to Lenders.
- A link to Fannie Mae’s 30 Year Fixed Interest Rate.
- Don't forget to sign up for our GUARANTEED LENDERS E-NEWSLETTER.
Homebuyers interested in applying for the Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan program, or with questions about the program should contact one of the approved lenders in California directly.
Main Phone Number: (530) 792-5800 extension 1
USDA Rural Development
Attn: Single Family Housing
430 G St, Agency 4169
Davis, CA 95616
Ron Tackett, California Single Family Housing Program Director
Annette Joyer, SFH Specialist
(916) 714-1104 ext. 107
Nancy Larson, SFH Specialist
Tamye Binning, SFH Technician
Kallii Lane, SFH Technician
Lenders: Guaranteed loan activity in California is processed through six offices throughout the state, and is divided by lender. All loan activity for a specific lender, regardless of the subject property's location, is processed through an assigned office. Below are contacts for each processing office, as well as a list of lenders served by that office. If not listed below, lenders should submit inquiries to email@example.com.
Elk Grove Office
Annette Joyer, SFH Specialist
(916) 714-1104 ext. 107
- JP Morgan Chase Bank, NA
- Academy Mortgage Corporation
- Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation
- Golden Empire Mortgage
- International City Mortgage, Inc.
- Megastar Financial
- PHH Mortgage Corporation
- RANLIFE, Inc.
- Umpqua Bank
- WCS Lending, LLC
- W.J. Bradley Mortgage Capital Corp.
Ed Amen, Area Specialist
- American Pacific Mortgage Corp.
- DHI Mortgage Company
- Guild Mortgage Company
- K. Hovnanian American Mortgage
- MMC Lending
- Oaktree Funding Corp.
- Platinum Home Mortgage Corp.
- Plaza Home Mortgage, Inc.
Violet Gomes, Area Specialist
(831) 757-5294 ext. 106
Lupe Benavides, Area Specialist
(831) 757-5294 ext. 105
- AFN dba MGM Mortgage
- Banc of California, NA
- Loan Depot.com LLC
- PrimeLending, A Plainscapital Co.
- Prospect Mortgage, LLC
- United Shores Financial Services, LLC
Maricela Gomez, Area Specialist
(559) 734-8732 ext. 114
- Axia Financial, LLC
- Castle & Cooke Mortgage, LLC
- Commerce Home Mortgage
- Country Club Mortgage
- Evergreen Home Loans
- Kings Mortgage Services, Inc.
- Mortgage Services III, LLC
- Mortgage Lenders of America
- Mountain West Financial
- PMAC Lending Services, Inc.
- Primary Residential Mortgage, Inc.
- Resource Lenders, Inc.
- Sierra Pacific Mortgage
- Summit Funding, Inc.
- Suntrust Mortgage, Inc.
- Universal American Mortgage
- Vitek Real Estate Industries Group
- Wallick & Volk, Inc.
- Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
Dale Stretz, Area Specialist
(530) 842-6123 ext. 115
- First Nations Home Finance
- First Priority Financial
- Flagstar Bank
- Mason-McDuffie Mortgage
- Paramount Residential (PRMG)
- Pearl Mortgage
- Stearns Lending, Inc.
- Stellar Capital, Inc.
- Sun West Mortgage Company, Inc.