What does this program do?
This program helps very small, financially distressed rural communities with predevelopment feasibility studies, design and technical assistance on proposed water and waste disposal projects.
Who may apply?
- Most state and local governmental entities
- Federally recognized tribes
What is an eligible area?
Areas to be served must be rural and financially distressed:
- Rural areas with a population of 2,500 or less
- Have a median household income below the poverty line or less than 80 percent of the statewide non-metropolitan median household income based on latest Census data
How may the funds be used?
To pay predevelopment planning costs, including:
- Feasibility studies to support applications for funding water or waste disposal projects
- Preliminary design and engineering analysis
- Technical assistance for the development of an application for financial assistance
Are there additional requirements?
The predevelopment planning costs must be related to a proposed project that meets the following requirements:
- Construct, enlarge, extend or improve rural water, sanitary sewage, solid waste disposal and storm wastewater disposal facilities
- Construct or relocate public buildings, roads, bridges, fences or utilities, and to make other public improvements necessary for the successful operation or protection of facilities
- Relocate private buildings, roads, bridges, fences, or utilities, and other private improvements necessary for the successful operation or protection of facilities
How do we get started?
- Applications for this program are accepted year round through your local RD office.
- Program resources are available online (i.e., forms, guidance, certifications, etc.).
What governs this program?
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 7, Part 1774 - 7 CFR 1774
- Section 306 of the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act
Why does USDA Rural Development do this?
To help very small, financially distressed rural communities extend and improve water and waste treatment facilities that serve local households and businesses.
To begin the process of applying for a Special Evaluation Assistance for Rural Communities and Households (SEARCH) Grant, complete and submit the following documents to the appropriate offices and individuals listed on the Contact Tab for this program. Please use this as a checklist and submit with the listed applications documents.
- SF 424, Application for Federal Assistance
- SF 424A, Budget Information Non-Construction Programs
- SAM.GOV registration is required for all applicants applying for federal assistance
- Resolution of Applicant's Board Authorizing Application
- Organizational Documents/Articles of Incorporation and By-laws, including all amendments (Nonprofit Organizations Only)
- Most current Fiscal Year's Audit or Year-End Financial Report with Balance Sheet and Income Statement (Forms RD 442-2 and RD 442-3 or similar format may be used)
- Current Fiscal Year's Operating Budget for Enterprise (Form 442-2 or similar format may be used)
- Certification that other credit is not available
- Written Project Plan – provide details on the activities or tasks to be accomplished, objectives, timetables for completion and anticipated results
- Draft Engineering Agreement
- Certifications including:
NOTE: Please select your state in the dropdown menu above to find the state office contact information and speak to a program specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you time in completing your application.
There are no other architect, engineering or environmental requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.
There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.
Community Programs Director in Iowa
Area Office Contacts
Area 1 - Iowa Falls Area Office
840 Brooks Road
Iowa Falls, IA 50126
Phone: 641-648-5181 Ext. 4 Fax: 866-255-6573
Counties Served: Butler, Cerro Gordo, Floyd, Franklin, Grundy, Hardin, Marshall, Mitchell, Tama and Worth
Area 2 - Waverly Area Office
1510 3rd Street, SW
Waverly, IA 50677
Phone: 319-352-1715 Ext. 4 Fax: 866-255-6573
Counties Served: Allamakee, Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Chickasaw, Clayton, Delaware, Fayette, Howard, and Winneshiek
Area 3 - Tipton Area Office
127 West South Street
Tipton, IA 52772
Phone: 563-886-6006 Ext. 4 Fax: 866-255-6573
Counties Served: Benton, Cedar, Clinton, Dubuque, Iowa, Jackson, Johnson, Jones, Linn, and Scott
Area 4 - Mt. Pleasant Area Office
709 S. Iris Street, Suite 103
Mount Pleasant, IA 52641
Phone: 319-986-5800 Ext. 4 Fax: 855-251-2237
Counties Served: Des Moines, Henry, Jefferson, Keokuk, Lee, Louisa, Muscatine, Van Buren, and Washington
Area 5 - Albia Area Office
1709 South "B" Street
Albia, IA 52531
Phone: 641-932-3031 Ext. 4 Fax: 855-251-2237
Counties Served: Appanoose, Davis, Jasper, Lucas, Mahaska, Marion, Monroe, Poweshiek, Wapello, and Wayne
Area 6 - Indianola Area Office
909 East 2nd Avenue, Suite C
Indianola, IA 50125
Phone: 515-961-5365 Ext. 4 Fax: 855-251-2238
Counties Served: Adair, Clarke, Dallas, Decatur, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, Ringgold, Union, and Warren
Area 7 - Atlantic Area Office
511 West 7th Street
Atlantic, IA 50022
Phone: 712-243-2107 Ext. 4 Fax: 855-251-2238
Counties Served: Adams, Audubon, Cass, Fremont, Harrison, Mills, Montgomery, Page, Pottawattamie, Shelby, and Taylor
Area 8 - Le Mars Area Office
1100 12th Street SW, Suite C
Le Mars, IA 51031
Phone: 712-546-5149 Ext. 4 Fax: 855-251-2245
Counties Served: Cherokee, Crawford, Ida, Lyon, Monona, O'Brien, Osceola, Plymouth, Sioux, and Woodbury
Area 9 - Storm Lake Area Office
1619 North Lake Avenue
Storm Lake, IA 50588
Phone: 712-732-1851 Ext. 4 Fax: 855-251-2245
Counties Served: Buena Vista, Calhoun, Carroll, Clay, Dickinson, Emmet, Greene, Palo Alto, Pocahontas, and Sac
Area 10 - Humboldt Area Office
1301 6th Avenue North, Suite 1
Humboldt, IA 50548
Phone: 515-332-4411 Ext. 4 Fax: 855-251-2245
Counties Served: Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Humboldt, Kossuth, Story, Webster, Winnebago, and Wright
There are currently no events scheduled.