What does this program do?
This program reduces or eliminates pollution of water resources by providing funding for organizations that provide technical assistance or training to improve the planning and management of solid waste sites.
Who may apply?
- Public bodies
- Federally recognized tribes
- Academic institutions
All applicants must have:
- Proven ability, background or experience to successfully complete a project similar to the one proposed
- Legal authority and capacity to provide technical assistance or training
What is an eligible area?
Rural areas and towns with a population of 10,000 or less -- check eligible addresses
Special consideration may be given for projects serving:
- An area with fewer than 5,500 or fewer than 2,500 people;
- Regional, multi-state or national areas; or
- Lower-income populations.
What may the funds be used for?
- Evaluate current landfill conditions to identify threats to water resources.
- Provide technical assistance or training to enhance the operation and maintenance of active landfills.
- Provide technical assistance or training to help communities reduce the amount of solid waste coming into a landfill.
- Provide technical assistance or training to prepare for closure and future use of a landfill site.
These grants cannot be used to:
- Duplicate current services, replace or substitute support or services already provided by a consultant during project development
- Duplicate assistance provided by the U.S. Forest Service.
- Pay for capital assets, real estate or vehicles.
- Pay for construction, operation or maintenance.
- Improve or renovate office space or repair or maintain private property.
- See 7 CFR 1775.5 for a complete list.
Are there terms for grants?
- This is a nationally competitive grant.
- Projects should be completed within 12 months.
- Grants are subject to the availability of funds.
Are matching funds required?
Matching funds are not required for this grant. However, applicant and in-kind contributions are encouraged..
Who currently participates in this program?
How do we get started?
- Download the 2023 Solid Waste Management Application Guide
- Applications can be filed through Grants.gov from October 1 – December 31
- Program resources and eForms can be found online (includes forms needed, guidance, certifications, etc.).
Who can answer questions?
Contact the grant manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What governs this program?
- Code of Federal Regulations 7 CFR 1775
- Section 310B of the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act
Why does USDA Rural Development do this?
This program helps small communities and utilities better manage solid waste disposal.
NOTE: Program details may change over time. Before you begin an application, please confirm you have the most current information by consulting the Application Guide at "How do we get started?" AND the regulation listed in the section above titled "What governs this program?" Questions may be directed to the grant manager at the section above the titled "Who can answer questions?"
There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.
Indiana State Office
5975 Lakeside Boulevard
Indianapolis, IN 46278
Community Programs Director
Community Program Specialist
Columbia City Area Office
788 W. Connexion Way, Suite E
Columbia City, IN 46725
Northern District Director
(260) 244-6266, Ext. 122
Adams, Allen, DeKalb, Elkhart, Huntington, Kosciusko, LaGrange, Miami, Noble, Steuben, Wabash, Wells, Whitley counties.
North Vernon Area Office
2600 Highway 7 North
North Vernon, IN 47265
Bartholomew, Clark, Dearborn, Decatur, Floyd, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Jennings, Johnson, Ohio, Ripley, Scott, Shelby, Switzerland, and Washington counties.
Bloomfield Area Office
104 County Road 70 East, Suite C
Bloomfield, IN 47424
Brown, Clay, Daviess, Greene, Knox, Lawrence, Martin, Monroe, Morgan, Owen, Sullivan, and Vigo counties.
Muncie Area Office
3641 North Briarwood Lane
Muncie, IN 47304
E. Ric Frataccia
Blackford, Delaware, Fayette, Grant, Hamilton, Hancock, Henry, Howard, Jay, Madison, Marion, Randolph, Rush, Tipton, Union, and Wayne counties.
Crawfordsville Area Office
2032 Lebanon Road
Crawfordsville, IN 47304
Benton, Boone, Clinton, Fountain, Hendricks, Montgomery, Parke, Putnam, Tippecanoe, Vermillion, and Warren counties.
Jasper Area Office
1484 Executive Boulevard
Jasper, IN 47546
Southern District Director
Crawford, Dubois, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Spencer, Vanderburgh, and Warrick counties.
Knox Area Office
1410 South Heaton Street, Suite B
Knox, IN 46534
(574) 772-3066, Ext. 127
Carroll, Cass, Fulton, Jasper, Lake, LaPorte, Marshall, Newton, Porter, Pulaski, St. Joseph, Starke and White counties.
There are currently no events scheduled.