What does this program do?
This program helps eligible low-income communities plan and develop applications for proposed USDA Rural Development water or waste disposal projects.
Who may apply?
- Most state and local
- Nonprofit organizations
- Federally-recognized Tribes
What is an eligible area?
- Rural areas and towns with populations of 10,000 or less. Check eligible addresses
- Federally recognized tribal lands
NOTE: The area must have a median household income below the poverty line or less than 80 percent of the statewide non-metropolitan median household income.
How may the funds be used?
This program helps eligible low income communities plan and develop applications for proposed USDA Rural Development water or waste disposal projects.
What are the terms for grants?
- Grants may not be used to pay for work already completed.
- For projects eligible under several programs, the amount of the pre-development or SEARCH grant will be subtracted from the total grant eligibility as determined in underwriting for the water or waste disposal project.
- These grants do not have to be paid back if the application for the USDA direct loan or loan/grant combination is not successful.
- Grants are based on demonstrated need and subject to the availability of funds.
- Partnerships with other federal, state and local entities are encouraged, and grants are awarded only when the applicant cannot afford to borrow the needed funds.
What are the grant terms?
- Grants cannot be used to pay for work already completed.
- The amount of the grant will be subtracted from the total grant eligibility if a USDA grant is awarded for part of the water or waste disposal project.
- These grants do not have to be paid back if the application for the USDA direct loan or loan and grant combination is not successful.
- Grants are based on demonstrated need and availability of funds.
- Partnerships with other federal, state, and local organizations are encouraged, and grants are awarded only when the applicant cannot afford to borrow the needed funds.
Is there a maximum grant amount?
Maximum of $60,000 or 75 percent of the predevelopment planning costs.
Are matching funds required?
Yes, at least 25 percent of the project cost must come from the applicant or third-party sources. In-kind contributions do not count toward this minimum.
How do we get started?
- Applications for this program are accepted year round through your local RD office.
- Program resources - forms needed, guidance, certifications, are available.
Who can answer questions?
- Help is always available through your local RD office.
- Participating non-profit associations also offer assistance and training. You can work with your local Rural Development staff to learn about available help in your area.
What governs this program?
- Code of Federal Regulations, 7 CFR 1780
- Section 306 of the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act
NOTE: Please select your state in the dropdown menu above to find the state office contact information and speak to a program specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you valuable time in your application.
There are no other architect, engineering or environmental requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.
There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.
ASHEVILLE AREA OFFICE
Jody Lovelace, Area Director
160 Zillicoa Street, Suite #2
Asheville, NC 28801
Counties Served: All Area One Counties
JEFFERSON SUB AREA OFFICE
134 Law Enforcement Dr., Suite 201
Jefferson, NC 28640
Counties Served: Ashe, Watauga, Alleghany, Wilkes, Caldwell
FRANKLIN LOCAL OFFICE
195 Thomas Heights Road
Franklin, NC 28734
Counties Served: Macon, Haywood, Jackson, Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Swain
MURPHY LOCAL OFFICE
225 Valley River Avenue, Suite J
Murphy, NC 28906
SPRUCE PINE LOCAL OFFICE
11943 S. 226 Hwy Suite D
Spruce Pine, NC 28777
Counties Served: Mitchell, Yancey, Madison, Avery, Buncombe, Henderson, Transylvania
SHELBY AREA OFFICE
Jody Lovelace, Area Director
844 Wallace Grove Road
Shelby, NC 28150
Counties Served: Cleveland, Gaston, McDowell, Polk, Rutherford, Mecklenburg
WINSTON-SALEM SUB AREA OFFICE
Forsyth County Agriculture Building Room 102
1450 Fairchild Drive
Winston Salem, NC 27105
Counties Served: Forsyth, Alexander, Burke, Davie
STATESVILLE LOCAL OFFICE
444 Bristol Drive
Statesville, NC 28677
Counties Served: Iredell, Catawba, Lincoln
DOBSON LOCAL OFFICE
220 Cooper Street
PO Box 66
Dobson, NC 27017
Counties Served: Surry, Yadkin, Stokes
LUMBERTON AREA OFFICE
Larry Sampson, Area Director
PO Box 7426
440-C Caton Road
Lumberton, NC 28360
Counties Served: Robeson, Bladen, Cumberland, Scotland, Hoke, Columbus
SMITHFIELD SUB AREA OFFICE
Johnston County Agric Service Bldg
2736 Hwy 210
Smithfield, NC 27577
Counties Served: Johnston, Harnett, Sampson, Wake, Wilson
BOLIVIA LOCAL OFFICE
10 Referendum Drive
PO Box 108
Bolivia, NC 28422
Counties Served: Brunswick, New Hanover, Pender
ASHEBORO AREA OFFICE
Kelley Woodley, Area Director
847 Curry Drive, Suite 104
Asheboro, NC 27205
Counties Served: Guilford, Randolph, Davidson, Rowan, Stanly, Cabarrus, Rockingham, Caswell, Alamance
SANFORD LOCAL AREA OFFICE
2416 Tramway Road
Ernest & Ruby McSwain Extension Educ & Ag Center
Sanford, NC 27332
Counties Served: Lee, Chatham, Moore
ROCKINGHAM LOCAL OFFICE
123 Caroline Street
Rockingham, NC 28379
Counties Served: Richmond, Montgomery, Anson, Union
HENDERSON AREA OFFICE
Shirlene Alexander, Area Director
853 S. Beckford Drive, Suite A
Henderson, NC 27536
252-438-3134 ext. 4
Counties Served: Vance, Granville, Franklin, Warren, Orange, Durham, Person,
WINTON SUB AREA OFFICE
County Office Building
305 W. Tryon Street
P.O. Box 8
Winton, NC 27986
Counties Served: Hertford, Gates, Chowan, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Camden, Currituck, Bertie, Northampton
HALIFAX LOCAL OFFICE
Halifax County Agriculture Complex
359 Ferrell Lane
P.O. Box 7
Halifax, NC 27839
252-583-7171 ext. 4
Counties Served: Halifax, Nash
KINSTON AREA OFFICE
Aaron Gaskins, Area Director
2044-C Hwy 11/55 South
PO Box 6189
Kinston, NC 28501-0189
Counties Served: Lenoir, Jones, Craven, Pamlico, Onslow, Carteret, Wayne, Greene, Duplin
GREENVILLE SUB AREA OFFICE
Pitt County Office Complex
403 Government Circle, Suite 3
Greenville, NC 27834
Counties Served: Pitt, Martin, Washington, Tyrrell, Dare, Beaufort, Hyde, Edgecombe
There are currently no events scheduled.