Rural Community Development Initiative Grants in Michigan
What does this program do?
RCDI grants are awarded to help non-profit housing and community development organizations, low-income rural communities and federally recognized tribes support housing, community facilities and community and economic development projects in rural areas.
Who may apply for this program?
- Public bodies
- Non-profit organizations
- Qualified Private (for-profit) Organizations
What is an eligible area?
Rural and rural area--Any area other than (i) a city or town that has a population of greater than 50,000 inhabitants; and (ii) the urbanized area contiguous and adjacent to such city or town. .
How may funds be used?
To improve housing, community facilities, and community and economic development projects in rural areas.
Rural Community Development Initiative grants may be used for, but are not limited to:
Training sub-grantees to conduct:
- Home-ownership education
- Minority business entrepreneur education
Providing technical assistance to sub-grantees on
- Strategic plan development
- Accessing alternative funding sources
- Board training
- Developing successful child care facilities
- Creating training tools, such as videos, workbooks, and reference guides
- Effective fundraising techniques
What kind of funding is available?
- Minimum grant award is $50,000; maximum grant award is $250,000
- Grant funds are limited and are awarded through a competitive process
Are matching funds required?
- Matching fund requirement equal to amount of grant
- In-kind contributions cannot be used as matching funds
- Partnerships with other federal, state, local, private and nonprofit entities are encouraged
How do we get started?
- Applications are accepted on an annual basis through a Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) in the Federal Register
- Program Resources are available online (includes forms needed, guidance, certifications etc.)
Who can answer questions?
Contact your local RD office.
What governs this program?
Code of Federal Regulation; 2 CFR 200 and Guidelines announced in NOFA, published in the Federal Register.
NOTE: Because citations and other information may be subject to change please always consult the program Instructions listed in the section above titled "What Law Governs this Program?" You may also contact your State Office RCDI Contact for assistance.
NOTE: If state specific forms are not shown above, please refer to the application materials listed below to start the process of applying. Please ensure that your state is selected in the dropdown menu above to find the State Office contact information for this program and speak to a Community Programs Specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you valuable time in the process.
An application package can be downloaded from Grants.gov CFDA 10.446
For more information about this program, or to file an application, contact the Rural Development State Office RCDI Contact.
There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.
There are currently no events scheduled.
USDA RD State Office
3001 Coolidge Rd.
East Lansing, MI 48823
517-324-5190 | Fax 855-813-7741
Public Information Coordinator
Community Programs Staff
Single Family Housing Staff
Business Programs Staff
Multi-Family Housing Staff
Gladstone Area Office
2003 Minneapolis Ave.
Gladstone, MI 49783
906-428-1060 Ext. 4
Sault Ste. Marie Office
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-9611 Ext. 4
Traverse City Area Office
1501 Cass St., Suite A
Traverse City, MI 49684
231-941-0951 Ext. 4
West Branch Office
240 W. Wright St.
West Branch, MI 48661
989-345-5470 Ext. 4
Caro Area Office
1075 Cleaver Rd.
Caro, MI 48723
989-673-8173 Ext. 6
Grand Rapids Area Office
3260 Eagle Park Dr., Suite 107
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
616-942-4111 Ext. 6
Paw Paw Office
1035 East Michigan Ave., Suite A
Paw Paw, MI 49079
269-657-7055 Ext. 4
Mason Area Office
525 N. Okemos St., Suite B
Mason, MI 48854
517-676-4644 Ext. 4
1525 North Elms Rd.
Flint, MI 48532
810-230-8766 Ext. 4