U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Mutual Self-Help Housing Technical Assistance Grants in Idaho


What does this program do?
Provides grants to qualified organizations to help them carry out local self-help housing construction projects. Grant recipients supervise groups of very-low- and low-income individuals and families as they construct their own homes in rural areas. The group members provide most of the construction labor on each other’s homes, with technical assistance from the organization overseeing the project.

Who may apply for this program?
Eligible applicants include:

What is an eligible rural area?
Utilizing the USDA Eligibility Site you can enter a specific address for determination or just search the map to review general eligible areas.

How may funds be used?

  • Give technical and supervisory assistance to participating families
  • Help other organizations provide self-help technical and supervisory assistance
  • Recruit families, help them complete loan applications and carry out other related activities that enable them to participate

Funds MAY NOT be used to:

  • Hire people to perform construction work for participants
  • Buy real estate, building materials or other property
  • Pay debts, expenses or costs for the participants
  • Pay other indirect costs

How do we get started?
Applications for this program are accepted through our local offices year round.

Who can answer questions?
Contact your local office.

What governs this program?

Why does USDA Rural Development do this?
By working in partnership with trusted local organizations, this program helps very-low- and low-income families get affordable, clean and safe homes of their own in rural areas. Very-low-income families living in substandard housing are given first priority for loan assistance.

NOTE: Because citations and other information may be subject to change please always consult the program instructions listed in the section above titled "What Law Governs this Program?" You may also contact your local office for assistance.

NOTE: If state specific forms are not shown above, please ensure that your state is selected in the dropdown menu above to find the State Office contact information and speak to a Housing Programs Specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you valuable time in your application.

Application Forms

Post Award Forms

There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.

IDAHO—Single Family Housing Program Contacts

Field Processing Offices

 Northern Idaho (Office Location: Coeur d’Alene)
[Counties: Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Kootenai, Shoshone, Clearwater, Idaho, Lewis, Latah, Nez Perce]

Area Director, Howard Lunderstadt     Phone: (208) 209-4367
SFH Loan Specialist, Michelle Day      Phone: (208) 209-4349

Western Idaho (Office Location: Caldwell)
[Counties: Ada, Adams, Boise, Canyon, Elmore, Gem, Owyhee, Payette, Valley, Washington]
Area Director, Vacant             
SFH Specialist, Vacant

Loan Assistant, Vacant

Central Idaho (Office Location: Twin Falls)
[Counties: Blaine, Camas, Cassia, Gooding, Jerome, Lincoln, Minidoka, Twin Falls]
SFH Specialist, Robert Fisher     
Phone: (208) 944-3747
SFH Specialist, Jose Sanchez    
Phone: (208) 944-3746

Eastern Idaho (Office Location: Blackfoot)
[Counties: Bannock, Bingham, Bonneville, Butte, Clark, Custer, Fremont, Jefferson, Lemhi, Madison, Power, Teton, Franklin, Caribou, Bear Lake, Oneida]
Area Director, Taylor Pratt          
Phone: (208) 690-3535
SFH Loan Assistant: Stephanie Keller Phone: (208) 690-3536

Idaho State Office (Office Location: Boise)
Housing Programs Director, Shawn Cafferty                  Phone: (208) 690-3539
State Housing Specialist, Carol Malmberg-Chadwick    Phone: (208) 378-5628


There are currently no events scheduled.