What does this program do?
This program provides funds to households in an area recognized as a Colonia before October 1, 1989. Grant funds may be used to connect service lines to a residence, pay utility hook-up fees, install plumbing and related fixtures, e.g., bathroom sink, bathtub or shower, commode, kitchen sink, water heater, outside spigot, or bathroom.
What is an eligible area?
These grants are only available in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas. The Colonia must be located in a rural area i.e., unincorporated areas and any city or town with a population of 10,000 or less) and is identified as a community designated in writing by the state or county in which it is located; determined to be a Colonia on the basis of objective criteria including lack of: potable water supply, adequate sewage systems, decent, safe and sanitary housing, or have inadequate roads and drainage.
Who is eligible?
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Own and occupy a dwelling located in a Colonia and have evidence of ownership.
- Have a total taxable income (based on the latest federal income tax form from all individuals residing in the household) that is below the most recent poverty income guidelines established by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Have no delinquencies on any federal debt.
How may funds be used?
Grant funds may be used to pay the reasonable costs for individuals to:
- Extend service lines from a system to a residence.
- Connect service lines to a residence’s plumbing.
- Pay reasonable charges or fees for connecting to a system.
- Pay for necessary installation of plumbing and related fixtures within dwellings lacking such facilities. This is limited to one bath tub, sink, commode, kitchen sink, water heater, and outside spigot.
- Construct and/or partition off a portion of the dwelling for a bathroom, not to exceed 4.6 square meters (48 square feet) in size.
- Pay reasonable costs for closing abandoned septic tanks and water wells when necessary to protect the health and safety of recipients of a grant.
- Make improvements to individual’s residence when needed to allow the use of the water and/or waste disposal system.
- Maximum grant
- Maximum grant to any individual for WATER service lines, connections, and/or construction of a bathroom is $3,500.
- Maximum grant to any individual for SEWER service lines, connections, and/or construction of a bathroom is $4,000.
- Lifetime assistance to any individual for initial or subsequent grants may not exceed a cumulative total of $5,000.
- Limitations on use of grant funds
Grant funds may not be used to:
- Pay any debt or obligation of the grantee other than obligations incurred under the grant.
- Pay costs that are not considered reasonable by the Agency.
How do we get started?
Applications for this program are accepted year round. Please apply through your local Rural Development office.
What governs this program?
- Basic Instruction: 7 CFR Part 3550, Subpart C and HB-1-3550, Appendix 6
Why does USDA Rural Development do this?
This program facilitates the use of community water and/or waste disposal systems by the residents of Colonias along the U.S./Mexico border.
There are no other architect, engineering or environmental requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.
There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.
ASHEVILLE AREA OFFICE
Jody Lovelace, Area Director
160 Zillicoa Street, Suite #2
Asheville, NC 28801
Counties Served: All Area One Counties
JEFFERSON SUB AREA OFFICE
134 Law Enforcement Dr., Suite 201
Jefferson, NC 28640
Counties Served: Ashe, Watauga, Alleghany, Wilkes, Caldwell
FRANKLIN LOCAL OFFICE
195 Thomas Heights Road
Franklin, NC 28734
Counties Served: Macon, Haywood, Jackson, Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Swain
MURPHY LOCAL OFFICE
225 Valley River Avenue, Suite J
Murphy, NC 28906
SPRUCE PINE LOCAL OFFICE
11943 S. 226 Hwy Suite D
Spruce Pine, NC 28777
Counties Served: Mitchell, Yancey, Madison, Avery, Buncombe, Henderson, Transylvania
SHELBY AREA OFFICE
Jody Lovelace, Area Director
844 Wallace Grove Road
Shelby, NC 28150
Counties Served: Cleveland, Gaston, McDowell, Polk, Rutherford, Mecklenburg
WINSTON-SALEM SUB AREA OFFICE
Forsyth County Agriculture Building Room 102
1450 Fairchild Drive
Winston Salem, NC 27105
Counties Served: Forsyth, Alexander, Burke, Davie
STATESVILLE LOCAL OFFICE
444 Bristol Drive
Statesville, NC 28677
Counties Served: Iredell, Catawba, Lincoln
DOBSON LOCAL OFFICE
220 Cooper Street
PO Box 66
Dobson, NC 27017
Counties Served: Surry, Yadkin, Stokes
LUMBERTON AREA OFFICE
Larry Sampson, Area Director
PO Box 7426
440-C Caton Road
Lumberton, NC 28360
Counties Served: Robeson, Bladen, Cumberland, Scotland, Hoke, Columbus
SMITHFIELD SUB AREA OFFICE
Johnston County Agric Service Bldg
2736 Hwy 210
Smithfield, NC 27577
Counties Served: Johnston, Harnett, Sampson, Wake, Wilson
BOLIVIA LOCAL OFFICE
10 Referendum Drive
PO Box 108
Bolivia, NC 28422
Counties Served: Brunswick, New Hanover, Pender
ASHEBORO AREA OFFICE
Kelley Woodley, Area Director
847 Curry Drive, Suite 104
Asheboro, NC 27205
Counties Served: Guilford, Randolph, Davidson, Rowan, Stanly, Cabarrus, Rockingham, Caswell, Alamance
SANFORD LOCAL AREA OFFICE
2416 Tramway Road
Ernest & Ruby McSwain Extension Educ & Ag Center
Sanford, NC 27332
Counties Served: Lee, Chatham, Moore
ROCKINGHAM LOCAL OFFICE
123 Caroline Street
Rockingham, NC 28379
Counties Served: Richmond, Montgomery, Anson, Union
HENDERSON AREA OFFICE
Shirlene Alexander, Area Director
853 S. Beckford Drive, Suite A
Henderson, NC 27536
252-438-3134 ext. 4
Counties Served: Vance, Granville, Franklin, Warren, Orange, Durham, Person,
WINTON SUB AREA OFFICE
County Office Building
305 W. Tryon Street
P.O. Box 8
Winton, NC 27986
Counties Served: Hertford, Gates, Chowan, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Camden, Currituck, Bertie, Northampton
HALIFAX LOCAL OFFICE
Halifax County Agriculture Complex
359 Ferrell Lane
P.O. Box 7
Halifax, NC 27839
252-583-7171 ext. 4
Counties Served: Halifax, Nash
KINSTON AREA OFFICE
Aaron Gaskins, Area Director
2044-C Hwy 11/55 South
PO Box 6189
Kinston, NC 28501-0189
Counties Served: Lenoir, Jones, Craven, Pamlico, Onslow, Carteret, Wayne, Greene, Duplin
GREENVILLE SUB AREA OFFICE
Pitt County Office Complex
403 Government Circle, Suite 3
Greenville, NC 27834
Counties Served: Pitt, Martin, Washington, Tyrrell, Dare, Beaufort, Hyde, Edgecombe
There are currently no events scheduled.