What does this program do?
BTA provides financial assistance through cooperative agreements to eligible entities to receive or deliver broadband technical assistance and training and supports the development and expansion of broadband cooperatives.
Who can apply?
Eligible applicants include:
- Federally-recognized Tribes and Tribal entities
- State or local governments, including agencies and subdivisions, among others
- Territories or possessions of the United States
- Institutions of higher education (including 1862 Land-Grant Institutions, 1890 Land-Grant Institutions, 1994 Land-Grant Institutions, Hispanic-Serving Institutions, and Historically Black Colleges and Universities)
- Nonprofit organizations with 501(c)(3) IRS status
- Cooperatives or mutual organizations
- Limited Liability Companies or Limited Liability Partnerships
What is an eligible area?
For a project to be eligible to receive federal funds from the BTA program, it must promote broadband expansion into a rural community.
What is a rural area?
- For the purposes of BTA, a rural area is defined as “any area not located in a city, town, or incorporated area with a population greater than 20,000, or an urbanized area next to a city, town or incorporated area with a population greater than 50,000 people.” Certain other exclusions apply.
- Eligible areas must be completely contained within a rural area or composed of multiple rural areas. You will find a mapping tool with additional eligibility information at this link: Map
How do we apply?
Applications must be submitted electronically through https://www.grants.gov/ no later than June 20, 2023.
Is there a matching requirement?
BTA does not have a cost share or matching requirement.
Where do the funds come from?
The Rural eConnectivity Program (ReConnect) is authorized under 7 U.S.C. 1981(b)(4), 7 U.S.C. 901 et seq., 7 U.S.C. 950aaa et seq., and 7 U.S.C. 950cc and provided funding for broadband technical assistance. The current funding opportunity will use technical assistance funds appropriated under the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) (Pub. L. 117-58).
- BTA Application Guide
- BTA Fact Sheet
- BTA Sample Budget Worksheet
- FY2023 BTA Sample Application Checklist
- FY 2023 BTA Communities Sample Worksheet
- Broadband Technical Assistance Map
- SAIPE Poverty Data
- Broadband Technical Assistance Funding Opportunity Announcement Webinar Recording
- Broadband Technical Assistance Funding Opportunity Announcement Webinar
- Broadband Technical Assistance Funding Opportunity Announcement Webinar for Tribes and Tribal Entities Recording
- Broadband Technical Assistance Funding Opportunity Announcement Webinar for Tribes and Tribal Entities
- Broadband Technical Assistance Ask Me Anything Session
- Broadband Technical Assistance Cooperative Agreement
NOTE: If you are using Google Chrome, your browser settings may require you to first download the form and then open the form.