U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Emergency Community Water Assistance Grants in Indiana


What does this program do?

This program helps eligible communities prepare, or recover from, an emergency that threatens the availability of safe, reliable drinking water.

Who may apply?

  • Rurally located public bodies
  • Nonprofit organizations
  • Federally recognized tribes
  • Applicants must show that a major decline in quantity or quality of water occurred within two years of the date of the application. Grants are also awarded when a significant decline in quality and quantity of water is imminent. 

What kind of event can qualify as an emergency?

  • Drought or flood
  • Earthquake
  • Tornado or hurricane
  • Disease outbreak
  • Chemical spill, leak or seepage
  • Other disasters

NOTE: A federal disaster declaration is not required.

What is an eligible area?

  • Rural areas and towns with populations of 10,000 or less -- check eligible addresses
  • Tribal lands in rural areas
  • Colonias

The area to be served must also have a median household income less-than the state's median household income for non-metropolitan areas. Contact your local RD office for details.

How may the funds be used?

  • Water transmission line grants up to $150,000 to construct waterline extensions, repair breaks or leaks in existing water distribution lines, and address related maintenance necessary to replenish the water supply
  • Water source grants up to $1,000,000 for the construction of new wells, reservoirs, transmission lines, treatment plants, and/or other sources of water (water source up to and including the treatment plant)

Are matching funds required?

  • Partnerships with other federal, state, local, private and nonprofit entities are encouraged

How do we get started?

  • Applications for this program are accepted year round, 
    online through RD APPLY or through your local RD office.
  • Program resources are available online (forms, guidance, certifications, etc.).

Who can answer questions?

What governs this program?

  • Code of Federal Regulation, 7 CFR 1778
  • Section 306A of the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act

Why does USDA Rural Development do this?

This program helps prevent damage or restore households and business' access to clean, reliable drinking water in eligible rural areas and towns following natural disasters. Funding can improve the natural environment and encourage manufacturers and other businesses to locate or expand operations.

NOTE: Please select your state in the dropdown menu above to find the state office contact information and speak to a program specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you time in completing your application.

National Architect Requirements:

There are no other architect, engineering or environmental requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above. 

There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.

Indiana State Office 5975 Lakeside Boulevard Indianapolis, IN 46278 Rochelle Owen Community Programs Director rochelle.owen@usda.gov (317) 295-5767 Krueger Pfister Community Program Specialist krueger.pfister@usda.gov (317) 295-5794 Columbia City Area Office 788 W. Connexion Way, Suite E Columbia City, IN 46725 Laura Hamann Northern District Director (260) 244-6266, Ext. 144 laura.hamann@usda.gov Adams, Allen, DeKalb, Elkhart, Huntington, Kosciusko, LaGrange, Miami, Noble, Steuben, Wabash, Wells, and Whitley counties. North Vernon Area Office 2600 Highway 7 North North Vernon, IN 47265 Marcia Comer marcia.comer@usda.gov (812) 953-4164 Charlene Hale charlene.hale@usda.gov (812) 953-4147 Bartholomew, Clark, Dearborn, Decatur, Floyd, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Jennings, Johnson, Ohio, Ripley, Scott, Shelby, Switzerland, and Washington counties. Bloomfield Area Office 104 County Road 70 East, Suite C Bloomfield, IN 47424 Cynthia Ferguson cynthia.fergsuon@usda.gov (812) 792-5020 Brown, Clay, Daviess, Greene, Knox, Lawrence, Martin, Monroe, Morgan, Owen, Sullivan, and Vigo counties. Muncie Area Office 3641 North Briarwood Lane Muncie, IN 47304 E. Ric Frataccia enrico.frataccia@usda.gov (317) 295-5788 Blackford, Delaware, Fayette, Grant, Hamilton, Hancock, Henry, Howard, Jay, Madison, Marion, Randolph, Rush, Tipton, Union, and Wayne counties. Crawfordsville Area Office 2032 Lebanon Road Crawfordsville, IN 47304 John Magee john.magee@usda.gov (765) 362-0405 Benton, Boone, Clinton, Fountain, Hendricks, Montgomery, Parke, Putnam, Tippecanoe, Vermillion, and Warren counties. Jasper Area Office 1484 Executive Boulevard Jasper, IN 47546 Craig McGowan Southern Director craig.mcgowan@usda.gov (812) 817-3443 Crawford, Dubois, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Spencer, Vanderburgh, and Warrick counties. Knox Area Office 1410 South Heaton Street, Suite B Knox, IN 46534 David Hacker david.d.hacker@usda.gov (574) 772-3066, Ext. 127 Carroll, Cass, Fulton, Jasper, Lake, LaPorte, Marshall, Newton, Porter, Pulaski, St. Joseph, Starke and and White counties.