Applications for this program are originated in the field office serving your county. Select the Contacts tab above for the NC field office list.
Are applications currently being accepted: YES
What does this program do?
This program provides funding for clean and reliable drinking water systems, sanitary sewage disposal, sanitary solid waste disposal, and storm water drainage to households and businesses in eligible rural areas.
Who may apply?
This program assists qualified applicants who are not otherwise able to obtain commercial credit on reasonable terms. Eligible applicants include:
- Most state and local governmental entities
- Private nonprofits
- Federally-recognized tribes
What is an eligible area?
Areas that may be served include:
- Rural areas and towns with populations of 10,000 or less -- check eligible addresses
- Tribal lands in rural areas
What kinds of funding are available?
- Long-term, low-interest loans
- If funds are available, a grant may be combined with a loan if necessary to keep user costs reasonable.
How may the funds be used?
Funds may be used to finance the acquisition, construction or improvement of:
- Drinking water sourcing, treatment, storage and distribution
- Sewer collection, transmission, treatment and disposal
- Solid waste collection, disposal and closure
- Storm water collection, transmission and disposal
In some cases, funding may also be available for related activities such as:
- Legal and engineering fees
- Land acquisition, water and land rights, permits and equipment
- Start-up operations and maintenance
- Interest incurred during construction
- Purchase of facilities to improve service or prevent loss of service
- Other costs determined to be necessary for completion of the project
- See 7 CFR Part 1780.7 and 1780.9 for a complete list
What is the loan term and rate?
- Up to 40-year payback period, based on the useful life of the facilities financed
- Fixed interest rates, based on the need for the project and the median household income of the area to be served
Contact us for details and current interest rates applicable for your project
Are there additional requirements?
- Borrowers must have the legal authority to construct, operate and maintain the proposed services or facilities.
- All facilities receiving federal financing must be used for a public purpose.
- Partnerships with other federal, state, local, private and nonprofit entities that offer financial assistance are encouraged.
- Projects must be financially sustainable.
How do we get started?
- Applications are accepted year round and may be filed electronically using RD Apply. The RD Apply Customer Help Guide is provided to help you get started and work through the application process
- Applications are also accepted through your local RD office.
- Program resources are available online (i.e., forms, guidance, certifications, etc.).
Who can answer questions?
- Contact the local representative who serves your area
- Participating nonprofits in your area may also offer assistance and training
What governs this program?
- Basic Program – 7 CFR, Part 1780
- Loan Servicing – 7 CFR, Part 1782
- Section 306 of the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act
Why does USDA Rural Development do this?
This program helps very small, financially distressed rural communities extend and improve water and waste treatment facilities that serve local households and businesses. Good practices can save tax dollars, improve the natural environment, and help manufacturers and businesses to locate or expand operations.
NOTE: Program details may change over time. Before you begin an application, please confirm you have the most current information by contacting a program specialist in your local RD office for assistance or consult the program instructions listed in the section above titled "What Governs this Program?"
Forms & Resources
NOTE: Please ensure that your state is selected in the dropdown menu above to find the state office contact information, and speak to a program specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you time in completing your application.
Current interest rates for 3rd Quarter FY 2019, effective April 1, 2019 to June 31, 2019
ASHEVILLE AREA OFFICE
Pam Hysong, Area Director
160 Zillicoa Street, Suite #2
Asheville, NC 28801
Counties Served: Buncombe, Henderson, Transylvania
JEFFERSON SUB AREA OFFICE
134 Government Circle
Jefferson, NC 28640
Counties Served: Ashe, Watauga, Alleghany, Wilkes, Caldwell
FRANKLIN LOCAL OFFICE
195 Thomas Heights Rod
Franklin, NC 28734
Counties Served: Macon, Haywood, Jackson, Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Swain
MURPHY LOCAL OFFICE
225 Valley River Avenue, Suite J
Murphy, NC 28906
SPRUCE PINE LOCAL OFFICE
11943 S. 226 Hwy Suite D
Spruce Pine, NC 28777
Counties Served: Mitchell, Yancey, Madison, Avery
SHELBY AREA OFFICE
Warren C. Smith, Area Director
844 Wallace Grove Road
Shelby, NC 28150
Counties Served: Cleveland, Gaston, McDowell, Polk, Rutherford, Mecklenburg
WINSTON SALEM SUB AREA OFFICE
Forsyth County Agriculture Building
1450 Fairchild Drive
Winston Salem, NC 27105
Counties Served: Forsyth, Alexander, Burke, Davie
STATESVILLE LOCAL OFFICE
444 Bristol Drive
Statesville, NC 28677
Counties Served: Iredell, Catawba, Lincoln
DOBSON LOCAL OFFICE
220 Cooper Street
PO Box 66
Dobson, NC 27017
Counties Served: Surry, Yadkin, Stokes
LUMBERTON AREA OFFICE
Rossie Bullock, Area Director
PO Box 7426
440-C Caton Road
Lumberton, NC 28360
Counties Served: Robeson, Bladen, Cumberland, Scotland, Hoke, Columbus
SMITHFIELD SUB AREA OFFICE
Johnston County Agric Service Bldg
2736 Hwy 210
Smithfield, NC 27577
Counties Served: Johnston, Harnett, Sampson, Wake, Wilson
BOLIVIA LOCAL OFFICE
10 Referendum Drive
PO Box 108
Bolivia, NC 28422
Counties Served: Brunswick, New Hanover, Pender
ASHEBORO AREA OFFICE
847 Curry Drive, Suite 104
Asheboro, NC 27205
Counties Served: Guilford, Randolph, Davidson, Rowan, Stanly, Cabarrus, Rockingham, Caswell, Alamance
SANFORD LOCAL AREA OFFICE
2416 Tramway Road
Ernest & Ruby McSwain Extension Educ & Ag Center
Sanford, NC 27332
Counties Served: Lee, Chatham, Moore
ROCKINGHAM LOCAL OFFICE
123 Caroline Street
Rockingham, NC 28379
Counties Served: Richmond, Montgomery, Anson, Union
HENDERSON AREA OFFICE
853 S. Beckford Drive, Suite A
Henderson, NC 27536
Counties Served: Vance, Granville, Franklin, Warren, Orange, Durham, Person, Nash, Northampton
WINTON SUB AREA OFFICE
County Office Building
305 W. Tryon Street
PO Box 8
Winton, NC 27986
Counties Served: Hertford, Gates, Chowan, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Camden, Currituck, Bertie
HALIFAX LOCAL OFFICE
Halifax County Agriculture Complex
359 Ferrell Lane
Halifax, NC 27839
Counties Served: Halifax
KINSTON AREA OFFICE
Aaron Gaskins, Area Director
2044-C Hwy 11/55 South
PO Box 6189
Kinston, NC 28501-0189
Counties Served: Lenoir, Jones, Craven, Pamlico, Onslow, Carteret, Wayne, Greene, Duplin
GREENVILLE SUB AREA OFFICE
Pitt County Office Complex
403 Government Circle, Suite 3
Greenville, NC 27834
Counties Served: Pitt, Martin, Washington, Tyrrell, Dare, Beaufort, Hyde, Edgecombe