Water & Waste Disposal Predevelopment Planning Grants in Indiana
What does this program do?
This program assists low-income communities with initial planning and development of applications for USDA Rural Development Water and Waste Disposal direct loan/grant and loan guarantee programs.
Who may apply?
- Most state and local governmental entities
- Nonprofit organizations
- Federally recognized tribes
What is an eligible area?
- Rural areas and towns with populations of 10,000 or less. Check eligible addresses
- Federally recognized tribal lands
NOTE: The area must also have a median household income below the poverty line or less than 80 percent of the statewide non-metropolitan median household income
How may the funds be used?
- Grants may be used to pay part of the costs of developing a complete application for USDA Rural Development Water & Waste Disposal direct loan/grant and loan guarantee programs.
What are the terms for grants?
- Grants may not be used to pay for work already completed.
- For projects eligible under several programs, the amount of the pre-development or SEARCH grant will be subtracted from the total grant eligibility as determined in underwriting for the water or waste disposal project.
- These grants do not have to be paid back if the application for the USDA direct loan or loan/grant combination is not successful.
- Grants are based on demonstrated need and subject to the availability of funds.
- Partnerships with other federal, state and local entities are encouraged, and grants are awarded only when the applicant cannot afford to borrow the needed funds.
Is there a maximum grant amount?
Maximum of $30,000 or 75 percent of the predevelopment planning costs.
Are matching funds required?
Yes, at least 25 percent of the project cost must come from the applicant or third-party sources. In-kind contributions do not count toward this minimum.
How do we get started?
- Applications for this program are accepted year round through your local RD office.
- Program resources are available online (includes forms needed, guidance, certifications, etc.).
Who can answer questions?
- Help is always available through your local RD office.
- Participating non-profit associations also offer assistance and training.
What governs this program?
- Code of Federal Regulations, 7 CFR 1780
- Agricultural Act of 2014
NOTE: Please select your state in the dropdown menu above to find the state office contact information and speak to a program specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you valuable time in your application.
There are no other architect, engineering or environmental requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.
There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.
There are currently no events scheduled.
Indiana State Office
5975 Lakeside Boulevard
Indianapolis, IN 46278
Community Programs Director
Community Program Specialist
Columbia City Area Office
788 W. Connexion Way, Suite E
Columbia City, IN 46725
Northern District Director
(260) 244-6266, Ext. 122
Adams, Allen, DeKalb, Elkhart, Huntington, Kosciusko, LaGrange, Miami, Noble, Steuben, Wabash, Wells, and Whitley counties.
North Vernon Area Office
2600 Highway 7 North
North Vernon, IN 47265
Bartholomew, Clark, Dearborn, Decatur, Floyd, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Jennings, Johnson, Ohio, Ripley, Scott, Shelby, Switzerland, and Washington counties.
Bloomfield Area Office
104 County Road 70 East, Suite C
Bloomfield, IN 47424
Brown, Clay, Daviess, Greene, Knox, Lawrence, Martin, Monroe, Morgan, Owen, Sullivan, and Vigo counties.
Muncie Area Office
3641 North Briarwood Lane
Muncie, IN 47304
Blackford, Delaware, Fayette, Grant, Hamilton, Hancock, Henry, Howard, Jay, Madison, Marion, Randolph, Rush, Tipton, Union, and Wayne counties.
Crawfordsville Area Office
2032 Lebanon Road
Crawfordsville, IN 47304
Benton, Boone, Clinton, Fountain, Hendricks, Montgomery, Parke, Putnam, Tippecanoe, Vermillion, and Warren counties.
Jasper Area Office
1484 Executive Boulevard
Jasper, IN 47546
Southern District Director
Crawford, Dubois, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Spencer, Vanderburgh, Warrick counties.
Knox Area Office
1410 South Heaton Street
Suite B Knox, IN 46534
(574) 772-3066, Ext. 127
Carroll, Cass, Fulton, Jasper, Lake, LaPorte, Marshall, Newton, Porter, Pulaski, St. Joseph, Starke and White counties.