Individual Water & Wastewater Grants in Colorado

What does this program do?

This program provides funds to households in an area recognized as a Colonia before October 1, 1989.  Grant funds may be used to connect service lines to a residence, pay utility hook-up fees, install plumbing and related fixtures, e.g., bathroom sink, bathtub or shower, commode, kitchen sink, water heater, outside spigot, or bathroom.

What is an eligible area?

These grants are only available in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas. The Colonia must be located in a rural area i.e., unincorporated areas and any city or town with a population of 10,000 or less) and is identified as a community designated in writing by the state or county in which it is located; determined to be a Colonia on the basis of objective criteria including lack of: potable water supply, adequate sewage systems, decent, safe and sanitary housing, or have inadequate roads and drainage.

Who is eligible?

Applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • Own and occupy a dwelling located in a Colonia and have evidence of ownership.
  • Have a total taxable income (based on the latest federal income tax form from all individuals residing in the household) that is below the most recent poverty income guidelines established by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
  • Have no delinquencies on any federal debt.

How may funds be used?

Grant funds may be used to pay the reasonable costs for individuals to:

  • Extend service lines from a system to a residence.
  • Connect service lines to a residence’s plumbing.
  • Pay reasonable charges or fees for connecting to a system.
  • Pay for necessary installation of plumbing and related fixtures within dwellings lacking such facilities.  This is limited to one bath tub, sink, commode, kitchen sink, water heater, and outside spigot.
  • Construct and/or partition off a portion of the dwelling for a bathroom, not to exceed 4.6 square meters (48 square feet) in size.
  • Pay reasonable costs for closing abandoned septic tanks and water wells when necessary to protect the health and safety of recipients of a grant.
  • Make improvements to individual’s residence when needed to allow the use of the water and/or waste disposal system.

Grant Restrictions

  1. Maximum grant
  • Maximum grant to any individual for WATER service lines, connections, and/or construction of a bathroom is $3,500.
  • Maximum grant to any individual for SEWER service lines, connections, and/or construction of a bathroom is $4,000.
  • Lifetime assistance to any individual for initial or subsequent grants may not exceed a cumulative total of $5,000.
  1. Limitations on use of grant funds

Grant funds may not be used to:

  • Pay any debt or obligation of the grantee other than obligations incurred under the grant.
  • Pay costs that are not considered reasonable by the Agency.

How do we get started?

Applications for this program are accepted year round.  Please apply through your local Rural Development office.

What governs this program?

Why does USDA Rural Development do this?

This program facilitates the use of community water and/or waste disposal systems by the residents of Colonias along the U.S./Mexico border.

National Architect Requirements:

There are no other architect, engineering or environmental requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above. 

State Environmental Requirements:

The State Environmental Coordinator assists all Rural Development program staff, applicants, owners, and other concerned parties in meeting the Agency requirements for compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act, The National Historic Preservation Act, and other laws governing the protection of environmental and cultural resources. For more information please contact the Rural Development loan specialist servicing your area using the following link Colorado Office Contacts or the RD State Architect:  You can also visit the following sites for a complete overview:

  • CFR Part 1500 USDA Rural Development Environmental Compliance Library Council on Environmental Quality - Regulation for Implementing the Procedural Provisions of the National Environmental Policy Act
  • 7 CFR 1794 Rural Utilities Service Environmental Policies and Procedures
  • RUS Bulletin 1794A-602 Guide for Preparing the Environmental Report for Water and Environmental Program Proposals

There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.

There are currently no events scheduled.

April Dahlager, Director Community Facilities
USDA, Rural Development
Denver Federal Center
Building 56, Room E-2300
Denver, CO 80225

Program contacts (by specialists and county):
Kevin McCann - Denver - 720-544-2926

Allison Trujillo – Denver – 720-544-2920
Counties: Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Clear, Creek, Douglas, El Paso, Jefferson, Denver, Gilpin, Larimer, Pueblo, and Teller

David Carter – Delta – 970-399-8195
Counties:: Garfield, Moffat, Rio Blanco, Routt, Delta, Gunnison, Mesa, Montrose, and Pitkin

Duane Dale – Cortez – 970-529-8375
Counties:: Archuleta, Dolores, Hinsdale, La Plata, Montezuma, Minera,l Ouray, San Juan, and San Miguel

Joe Montgomery – 720-544-2931  
Counties:: Chaffee, Custer Eagle, Fremont, Jackson, Grand, Lake, Park,and Summit

Tineel Baroz– 719-589-5661 x3653
Counties:: Alamosa, Baca, Bent, Conejos, Costilla, Crowle,y Huerfano, Kiowa, Las Animas, Otero, Prowers, Rio Grande, and Saguache

Julie Scruby –Wray –970-332-3107 x127
Counties:: Cheyenne, Elbert, Kit Carson, Lincoln, Logan, Morgan, Phillips, Sedgwick, Washington, Weld, and Yuma