What does this program do?
USDA Rural Development awards grants to eligible nonprofit organizations and public housing authorities (PHAs) to provide technical assistance (TA) and other services to enable affordable housing preservation through the transfer of Multifamily Housing Direct Loan properties from current owners to nonprofits or PHAs.
Program Features Funding
Announced through a Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) placed in the Federal Register.
Grant funds are limited, and are awarded through a competitive process.
- Public and private
- nonprofit organizations
- Public Housing Authorities (PHAs)
- Tribal housing nonprofits
- Tribally-designated Housing Entities (TDHEs)
Eligible TA Recipients
Grantees provide technical assistance to nonprofit organizations and PHAs to help them purchase properties using a Multifamily Direct Loan.
Use of Funds
- Eligible: technical assistance and other consultation, advisory and non-construction services required as part of the application process
- Eligible: soft costs including financial analysis and transaction structuring analysis, and completion of other transaction details such as Capital Needs Assessments (CNAs), appraisals, and market surveys
- Not Eligible: transaction costs in which an identity of interest – such as between buyer and seller, or owner and lender – exists between grantees and applicants
What governs this program?
• Section 764 of the 2020 Further Consolidated Appropriations Act
For More Information
Please contact Multifamily Housing at Email: email@example.com.
Awardees: 515 Nonprofit Transfer Technical Assistance NOFA Selections
Organizations interested in receiving technical assistance services to assist in transferring their properties or acquiring existing 515 properties should contact the awardee in their service area regarding the availability of services.
Rural Housing Service hosted a Listening Session for the FY 2023 MFH Consolidated Technical Assistance (TA) Grant Programs on May 22, 2023. A copy of the presentation can be downloaded.
FY 2023 MFH Consolidated Technical Assistance Grant Programs Information Session - May 22, 2023: PDF
Rural Housing Service hosted a listening session for the MFH Technical Assistance (TA) Grant Programs-FY 2023 Consolidated Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) on Thursday, February 9, 2023. You may download a copy of the presentation.
MFH Technical Assistance Grant Programs Information Session: PDF