Program 101

Program Status: Open
Federal Register Notice: PDF | Amendment: PDF
Program Fact Sheet: PDF

Applications for Grants of $20,000 or Less | Guaranteed Loan/Grant of $20,000 or Less Combo Applications

  • October 31, 2018 or
  • April 1, 2019

Applications for Unrestricted Grants | Guaranteed Loan/Unrestricted Grant Combo Applications

  • April 1, 2019

Energy Audit and Renewable Energy Development Assistance Grants

  • January 31, 2019

Guaranteed Loans

  • Continuous Application Cycle

FY 2019 Funding Amounts (Pending any funding received in any continuing resolution or the final appropriations act)

Guaranteed Loans: TBD
Unrestricted Grants: TBD
Grants of $20,000 or Less: TBD

What does this program do?
Provides guaranteed loan financing and grant funding to agricultural producers and rural small businesses for renewable energy systems or to make energy efficiency improvements.

Who may apply?

  • Agricultural producers with at least 50% of gross income coming from agricultural operations, and
  • Small businesses in eligible rural areas.

NOTE:  Agricultural producers and small businesses must have no outstanding delinquent federal taxes, debt, judgment or debarment.

What is an eligible area?

  • Businesses must be in an area other than a city or town with a population of greater than 50,000 inhabitants and the urbanized area of that city or town. Check eligible business addresses.
  • Agricultural producers may be in rural or non-rural areas.

How may the funds be used?
Funds may be used for renewable energy systems, such as:

  • Biomass (for example: biodiesel and ethanol, anaerobic digesters, and solid fuels)
  • Geothermal for electric generation or direct use
  • Hydropower below 30 megawatts
  • Hydrogen
  • Small and large wind generation
  • Small and large solar generation
  • Ocean (tidal, current, thermal) generation

Funds may also be used for the purchase, installation and construction of energy efficiency improvements, such as:

  • High efficiency heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC)
  • Insulation
  • Lighting
  • Cooling or refrigeration units
  • Doors and windows
  • Electric, solar or gravity pumps for sprinkler pivots
  • Switching from a diesel to electric irrigation motor
  • Replacement of energy-inefficient equipment

What funding is available?

  • Loan guarantees on loans up to 75% of total eligible project costs
  • Grants for up to 25% of total eligible project costs
  • Combined grant and guaranteed loan funding up to 75% of total eligible project costs

What are the guaranteed loan terms?

  • $5,000 minimum loan amount
  • $25 million maximum loan amount
  • Up to 85% loan guarantee
  • Rates and terms negotiated with the lender and subject to USDA approval
  • Maximum term of 30 years for real estate
  • Maximum term of 15 years for machinery and equipment
  • Maximum term of 7 years for capital loans
  • Maximum term of 30 years for combined real estate and equipment loans

What are the grant terms?
Renewable Energy System Grants:

  • $2,500 minimum
  • $500,000 maximum

Energy Efficiency Grants:

  • $1,500 minimum
  • $250,000 maximum

Are there additional requirements?

  • Applicants must provide at least 75% of the project cost if applying for a grant only.
  • Applicants must provide at least 25% of the project cost if applying for guaranteed loan, or guaranteed loan and grant combination.
  • Projects greater than $200,000 require a technical report.
  • Energy efficiency projects require an energy audit or assessment.

How do we get started?

  • Applications for this program are accepted year round at your local office.

Who can answer questions?
Contact your State Rural Development Energy Coordinator.

What governs this program?

Why does USDA Rural Development do this?
This program helps increase American energy independence by increasing the private sector supply of renewable energy and decreasing the demand for energy through energy efficiency improvements. Over time, these investments can also help lower the cost of energy costs for small businesses and agricultural producers.

NOTE: Because citations and other information may be subject to change, please always consult the program Instructions listed in the section above titled, "What governs this program?" You may also contact your local office for assistance.

Forms & Resources


Comparison of the Rural Development B&I and REAP Programs with SBA 7(A) and 504 Programs

Rural Business Newsletters

Fall 2018
Summer 2018
Spring 2018
Fall 2017
Summer 2017
Spring 2017
Fall 2016

NOTE: If state specific forms are not shown above, please refer to the application materials listed below to start the process of applying for a loan and/or grant. Please ensure that your state is selected in the dropdown menu above to find the State Office contact information for this program and speak to a Rural Development Energy Coordinator before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you valuable time in the process.

To complete an application for this program, you must be pre-registered with the System for Award Management (SAM) and also have a Data Universal Number System (DUNS) number. Neither of these applications cost money, but they can take time so be sure to get this taken care of right away. If you are already registered with these systems, you do not need to do it again.

Application Instructions (pdf)


Other Resources


South Dakota Rural Business-Cooperative Programs Contact Map


Dana Kleinsasser, Rural Business & Cooperative Programs Director
200 4th Street SW, Federal Bldg. Rm. 210
Huron, SD  57350
Phone: (605) 352-1157
Fax: (855) 262-1940

Clark Guthmiller, Specialist
1717 N. Lincoln Avenue, Suite 102
Pierre, SD  57501
Serves Campbell, Corson, Dewey,
Haakon, Hughes, Jones, Mellette, Potter,
Stanley, Sully, Todd, Walworth, and
Phone: (605) 301-3409
Fax: (855) 262-1942

Gary Wedel, Specialist
1820 North Kimball, Suite C
Serves Aurora, Brule, Buffalo, Charles
Mix, Davison, Douglas, Faulk, Gregory,
Hand, Hanson, Hyde, Jerauld, Lake,
Lyman, McCook, Miner, Sanborn, Spink,
and Tripp
Phone: (605) 299-3339
Fax: (855) 262-1941

Clark Guthmiller (605) 301-3409 or Lance Lockwood (605) 858-6681, Specialists
414 East Stumer Road, Suite 200
Rapid City, SD  57701
Serves Bennett, Butte, Custer, Fall River,
Harding, Jackson, Lawrence, Meade,
Oglala Lakota, Perkins, and Pennington
Phone: (605) 858-6683
Fax: (855) 262-1943

Jolene Pravecek, Specialist
2914 Broadway
Yankton, SD  57078
Serves Bon Homme, Clay, Hutchinson,
Lincoln, Minnehaha, Moody, Turner, Union,
and Yankton
Phone: (605) 655-3516
Fax: (855) 262-1938

Cayla Holleman, Assistant
200 4th Street SW, Federal Bldg. Rm. 210
Huron, SD  57350
Serves Beadle, Brookings, Clark, Deuel, and Kingsbury
Phone: (605) 299-3357
Fax: (855) 262-1941

Shelby Kraemer, Specialist
524 Enterprise Street South, Suite 100
Aberdeen, SD  57401
Serves Brown, Codington, Day, Edmunds,
Grant, Hamlin, Marshall, McPherson, and
Phone: (605) 824-3627
Fax: (855) 262-1939

Carolyn Bloodgood, Technician
200 4th Street SW, Federal Bldg. Rm. 210
Huron, SD  57350
Phone: (605) 352-1144
Fax: (855) 262-1940