SEARCH - Special Evaluation Assistance for Rural Communities and Households in North Carolina
What does this program do?
This program helps very small, financially distressed rural communities with predevelopment feasibility studies, design and technical assistance on proposed water and waste disposal projects.
Who may apply?
- Most state and local governmental entities
- Federally recognized tribes
What is an eligible area?
Areas to be served must be rural and financially distressed:
- Rural areas with a population of 2,500 or less
- Have a median household income below the poverty line or less than 80 percent of the statewide non-metropolitan median household income based on latest Census data
How may the funds be used?
To pay predevelopment planning costs, including:
- Feasibility studies to support applications for funding water or waste disposal projects
- Preliminary design and engineering analysis
- Technical assistance for the development of an application for financial assistance
Are there additional requirements?
The predevelopment planning costs must be related to a proposed project that meets the following requirements:
- Construct, enlarge, extend or improve rural water, sanitary sewage, solid waste disposal and storm wastewater disposal facilities
- Construct or relocate public buildings, roads, bridges, fences or utilities, and to make other public improvements necessary for the successful operation or protection of facilities
- Relocate private buildings, roads, bridges, fences, or utilities, and other private improvements necessary for the successful operation or protection of facilities
How do we get started?
- Applications for this program are accepted year round through your local RD office.
- Program resources are available online (i.e., forms, guidance, certifications, etc.).
What governs this program?
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 7, Part 1774 - 7 CFR 1774
- Section 306 of the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act
Why does USDA Rural Development do this?
To help very small, financially distressed rural communities extend and improve water and waste treatment facilities that serve local households and businesses.
NOTE: Please select your state in the dropdown menu above to find the state office contact information and speak to a program specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you time in completing your application.
There are no other architect, engineering or environmental requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.
There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.
There are currently no events scheduled.
ASHEVILLE AREA OFFICE
Pam Hysong, Area Director
160 Zillicoa Street, Suite #2
Asheville, NC 28801
Counties Served: Buncombe, Henderson, Transylvania
JEFFERSON SUB AREA OFFICE
134 Government Circle
Jefferson, NC 28640
Counties Served: Ashe, Watauga, Alleghany, Wilkes, Caldwell
FRANKLIN LOCAL OFFICE
195 Thomas Heights Rod
Franklin, NC 28734
Counties Served: Macon, Haywood, Jackson, Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Swain
MURPHY LOCAL OFFICE
225 Valley River Avenue, Suite J
Murphy, NC 28906
SPRUCE PINE LOCAL OFFICE
11943 S. 226 Hwy Suite D
Spruce Pine, NC 28777
Counties Served: Mitchell, Yancey, Madison, Avery
SHELBY AREA OFFICE
Warren C. Smith, Area Director
844 Wallace Grove Road
Shelby, NC 28150
Counties Served: Cleveland, Gaston, McDowell, Polk, Rutherford, Mecklenburg
LUMBERTON AREA OFFICE
Rossie Bullock, Area Director
PO Box 7426
440-C Caton Road
Lumberton, NC 28360
Counties Served: Robeson, Bladen, Cumberland, Scotland, Hoke, Columbus
ASHEBORO AREA OFFICE
847 Curry Drive, Suite 104
Asheboro, NC 27205
Counties Served: Guilford, Randolph, Davidson, Rowan, Stanly, Cabarrus, Rockingham, Caswell, Alamance
HENDERSON AREA OFFICE
853 S. Beckford Drive, Suite A
Henderson, NC 27536
Counties Served: Vance, Granville, Franklin, Warren, Orange, Durham, Person, Nash, Northampton
KINSTON AREA OFFICE
Aaron Gaskins, Area Director
2044-C Hwy 11/55 South
PO Box 6189
Kinston, NC 28501-0189
Counties Served: Lenoir, Jones, Craven, Pamlico, Onslow, Carteret, Wayne, Greene, Duplin