U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Rural Housing Site Loans in Idaho


What does this program do?
Rural Housing site loans provide two types of loans to purchase and develop housing sites for low- and moderate-income families:

  • Section 523 loans are used to acquire and develop sites only for housing to be constructed by the Self-Help method. Refer to RD Instruction 1944-I for more information about the Self-Help program
  • Section 524 loans are made to acquire and develop sites for low- or moderate-income families, with no restriction as to the method of construction.  Low-income is defined as between 50-80% of the area median income (AMI); the upper limit for moderate income is 115% of the AMI.

Who may apply for this program?

  • Section 523 loans: Private or public non-profit organizations that will provide sites solely for self-help housing
  • Section 524 loans: Private or public non-profit organizations.  The building site may be sold to low- or moderate-income families utilizing USDA’s Single Family Housing (SFH) loan programs, or any other mortgage financing program which serves low- and moderate-income families
  • Non-profits that have the legal authority to operate a revolving loan fund
  • Non-profits that have the financial, technical and managerial capacity to comply with relevant federal and state laws and regulations
  • Federally-recognized Tribes

What is an eligible area?
Check eligible addresses.

How may funds be used?
Site loans are made to provide financing for the purchase and development of housing sites for low- and moderate-income families.

What are the terms of the loans?

  • 5-year loans
  • Section 523 loans: 3% interest rate
  • Section 524 loans: below-market-rate established and published monthly, fixed at closing.

How do we get started?
Applications for this program are accepted year round. Please apply through your State USDA Rural Development office..

Who can answer questions?
Contact your State USDA Rural Development office.

What governs this program?

NOTE: Because citations and other information may be subject to change please always consult the program instructions listed in the section above titled "What Law Governs this Program?" You may also contact your local office for assistance.

NOTE: Please contact your local State Office and speak to a Housing Program Specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you valuable time in your application.

There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.

IDAHO—Single Family Housing Program Contacts

Field Processing Offices

Northern Idaho (Office Location: Coeur d’Alene)
[Counties: Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Kootenai, Shoshone, Clearwater, Idaho, Lewis, Latah, Nez Perce]

Area Director, Howard Lunderstadt     Phone: (208) 209-4367
SFH Loan Specialist, Michelle Day      Phone: (208) 209-4349

Western Idaho (Office Location: Caldwell)
[Counties: Ada, Adams, Boise, Canyon, Elmore, Gem, Owyhee, Payette, Valley, Washington]
Area Director, Vacant             
SFH Specialist, Vacant

Loan Assistant, Vacant

Central Idaho (Office Location: Twin Falls)
[Counties: Blaine, Camas, Cassia, Gooding, Jerome, Lincoln, Minidoka, Twin Falls]
SFH Specialist, Robert Fisher     
Phone: (208) 944-3747
SFH Specialist, Jose Sanchez    
Phone: (208) 944-3746

Eastern Idaho (Office Location: Blackfoot)
[Counties: Bannock, Bingham, Bonneville, Butte, Clark, Custer, Fremont, Jefferson, Lemhi, Madison, Power, Teton, Franklin, Caribou, Bear Lake, Oneida]
Area Director, Taylor Pratt          
Phone: (208) 690-3535

SFH Loan Assistant: Stephanie Keller Phone: (208) 690-3536

Idaho State Office (Office Location: Boise)
Housing Programs Director, Shawn Cafferty                  Phone: (208) 690-3539
State Housing Specialist, Carol Malmberg-Chadwick    Phone: (208) 378-5628


There are currently no events scheduled.