U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Single Family Housing Repair Loans & Grants in Washington


You can find all the instructions and forms you need to apply for the Single Family Housing Repair Loan and Grant Program in Washington in this Program Information and Application Package.

What does this program do? 
Also known as the Section 504 Home Repair program, this provides loans to very-low-income homeowners to repair, improve or modernize their homes or grants to elderly very-low-income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards.

Who may apply for this program?
To qualify, you must:

  • Be the homeowner and occupy the house
  • Be unable to obtain affordable credit elsewhere
  • Have a household income that does not exceed the very low limit by county
  • For grants, be age 62 or older

What is an eligible rural area?
Utilizing the USDA Eligibility Site you can enter a specific address for determination or just search the map to review general eligible areas.

How may funds be used?

  • Loans may be used to repair, improve or modernize homes or remove health and safety hazards
  • Grants must be used to remove health and safety hazards

How much money can I get?

  • Maximum loan is $40,000
  • Maximum grant is $10,000
  • Loans and grants can be combined for up to $50,000 in assistance

What are the terms of the loan or grant?

  • Loans are termed for 20 years
  • Loan interest rate is fixed at 1%
  • Full title service is required if the total outstanding balance on Section 504 loans is greater than $25,000
  • Grants have a lifetime limit of $10,000
  • Grants must be repaid if the property is sold in less than 3 years

Is there a deadline to apply? 

  • Applications for this program are accepted through your local RD office year round

How long does an application take? 
Approval times depend on funding availability in your area. Talk to a USDA home loan specialist in your area for help with the application

Who can answer questions and how do I get started?
Contact a USDA home loan specialist in your area

What governs this program?

  • The Housing Act of 1949 as amended, 7 CFR Part 3550
  • HB-1-3550 - Direct Single Family Housing Loans and Grants Field Office Handbook

Why does USDA Rural Development do this?
Helping people stay in their own home and keep it in good repair helps families and their communities. Homeownership helps families and individuals build savings over time. It strengthens communities and helps many kinds of businesses that support the local economy.

NOTE: Because citations and other information may be subject to change, please always consult the program instructions listed in the section above titled "What Governs this Program?" Applicants may also contact your local office for assistance.

NOTE: Please select your state using the "Select your location" menu above.  By doing so, any state specific forms and resources will be shown above this note.

Applicant Resources:

Prior to applying, potential applicants are encouraged (but are not required) to go through an informal prequalification process to determine if the repair program may be a good fit for them.  To start, potential applicants can contact their local Rural Development office and provide the following documentation:

Very-low income homeowners in rural areas interested in applying for the repair program (preferably after going through the prequalification process as described above) can contact their local Rural Development office and provide the following documentation:

Borrower Resources:

Rural Development Staff and Application Packager Resources:

  • The 504 Automated Worksheet is a tool designed to identify what type of assistance a homeowner may receive; however, is not a final eligibility determination.  The tool can be used to package 504 loans and grants.
  • Repair packagers are not subject to the certified packaging process for purchase loans. Information regarding the 504 packaging process can be found in HB-1-3550, Chapter 3, Attachment 3-A.
  • Repair packagers must sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the State Office.
  • Allowable packaging fees to any public, tribe or private nonprofit organizations may be included in repair loans and grants.
  • Packagers are encouraged to visit the Direct Loan Application Packagers page for information and resources specific to packaging Section 502 Home Purchase Program.
  • Eligibility for repair assistance considers the applicant's age, household income, and Total Debt (TD) ratio. To qualify for a grant, the applicant must be 62 or older.

National Architect Requirements:

Individual states may have particular requirements based on state and local regulations. Please contact the state office in the state where your project is located.

There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.

Single Family Housing Programs
Trudy Teter, Director
(360) 704-7777
Western Washington Area Housing Offices
Area Director
Ed Reynolds
(360) 704-7760
Olympia Area Housing Office
(Clallam, Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, Kitsap, Lewis, Mason, Pacific, Pierce, Thurston, & Wahkiakum counties.
1835 Black Lake Blvd. SW, Suite C
Olympia, WA 98512-5716
Phone: (360) 704-7760
Fax: (855) 847-5490
Mount Vernon Area Office
(Island, King, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish, and Whatcom counties)
2005 E. College Way, Suite 203
Mount Vernon, WA 98273-2373
Phone:  360-428-7684
Fax: (855) 847-5490
Eastern Washington Housing Office
Acting Area Director
Ed Reynolds
(360) 704-7753
Wenatchee Office
(Chelan, Douglas, Ferry, Grant, Lincoln, Okanogan, Pend O’reille, Spokane and Stevens
Room 317, Federal Building
301 Yakima Street
Wenatchee, WA 98801-2998
Phone: (509) 663-4019
Fax: (855) 847-5491
Spokane Satellite Office
8815 East Mission, Ste B
Spokane Valley, WA 99212
Phone: (509) 924-7350,
Ext. 114, Fax: (855) 847-5491
Yakima Area Office
(Adams, Asotin, Benton, Columbia, Franklin, Garfield, Kittitas, Klickitat, Skamania, Walla Walla, Whitman, & Yakima counties)
1606 Perry Street, Suite D
Yakima, WA 98902-5769
Phone: (509) 454-5740
Fax: (855) 847-5491