Solid Waste Management Grants in Washington




Application window is open from October 1 - December 31

What does this program do?

This program reduces or eliminates pollution of water resources by providing funding for organizations that provide technical assistance or training to improve the planning and management of solid waste sites.

Who may apply?

  • Public bodies
  • Nonprofits
  • Federally recognized tribes
  • Academic institutions

All applicants must have:

  • Proven ability, background or experience to successfully complete a project similar to the one proposed
  • Legal authority and capacity to provide technical assistance or training

What is an eligible area?

Rural areas and towns with a population of 10,000 or less -- check eligible addresses

Special consideration may be given for projects serving:

  • An area with fewer than 5,500 or fewer than 2,500 people;
  • Regional, multi-state or national areas; or
  • Lower-income populations.

What may the funds be used for?

  • Evaluate current landfill conditions to identify threats to water resources.
  • Provide technical assistance or training to enhance the operation and maintenance of active landfills.
  • Provide technical assistance or training to help communities reduce the amount of solid waste coming into a landfill.
  • Provide technical assistance or training to prepare for closure and future use of a landfill site.

These grants may not be used to:

  • Duplicate current services, replace or substitute support previously provided, i.e., service already rendered by a consultant in developing a project.
  • Duplicate assistance provided by the U.S. Forest Service.
  • Pay for capital assets, real estate or vehicles.
  • Pay for construction, operation or maintenance.
  • Improve or renovate office space or repair or maintain private property.
  • See 7 CFR 1775.5 for a complete list.

Are there terms for grants?

  • This is a nationally competitive grant.
  • Projects should be completed within 12 months.
  • Grants are subject to the availability of funds.

Are matching funds required?

Matching funds are not required for this grant, however, applicant and in-kind contributions are recommended.

Who currently participates in this program?

How do we get started?

Who can answer questions?

Contact the solid waste grant manager in the RD National Office at (352) 363-0550

What governs this program?

  • Code of Federal Regulations 7 CFR 1775 
  • Section 310B of the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act

Why does USDA Rural Development do this?

This program helps small communities and utilities better manage solid waste disposal.

NOTE: Program details may change over time. Before you begin an application, please confirm you have the most current information by  consulting the Application Guide at "How do we get started?" AND the regulation listed in the section above titled "What governs this program?" Questions may be directed to the grant manager at the section above the titled "Who can answer questions?"

FY 2021 Technical Assistance and Training and Solid Waste Management Grant Programs Application Guide |  PDF

There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.

There are currently no events scheduled.

Community Programs
Peter McMillin, Director
(360) 704-7737
Fax (855) 847-5488
Environmental Specialist
Paul Johnson
(360) 704-7761
State Engineer
Dave Dunnell
(509) 663-4019, Ext. 143
Southwest Area
  • Ambrea Cormier serves Southern King County, Pierce, Thurston, Grays Harbor, and Mason counties

  • Koni Reynolds serves Lewis, Cowlitz, Clark, Pacific, and Wahkaikum counties

Northwest Area – serves Island, King, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish and Whatcom counties.

Darla O’Connor
Northeast Area - Serves Chelan, Douglas, Ferry, Grant, Lincoln, Okanogan, Pend O’reille, Spokane and Stevens counties
Rick Rose
Southeast Area – Serves Adams, Asotin, Benton, Columbia, Franklin, Garfield, Kittitas, Klickitat, Skamania, Walla Walla, Whitman, & Yakima counties.
Marti Canatsey
Broadband Field Representatives
Eastern Washington
Joe Bradley
(208) 288-1435
Western Washington
Steve G. Coyner
(360) 574-9768
Rural Electric Programs
Rodney Peach
(509) 276-5516