Program 101

Program Fact Sheet

Are applications currently being accepted: YES

What does this program do?

This program provides funding for clean and reliable drinking water systems, sanitary sewage disposal, sanitary solid waste disposal, and storm water drainage to households and businesses in eligible rural areas.

Who may apply?

This program assists qualified applicants who are not otherwise able to obtain commercial credit on reasonable terms. Eligible applicants include:

What is an eligible area?

Areas that may be served include:

What kinds of funding are available?

  • Long-term, low-interest loans
  • If funds are available, a grant may be combined with a loan if necessary to keep user costs reasonable.

How may the funds be used?

Funds may be used to finance the acquisition, construction or improvement of:

  • Drinking water sourcing, treatment, storage and distribution
  • Sewer collection, transmission, treatment and disposal
  • Solid waste collection, disposal and closure
  • Storm water collection, transmission and disposal

In some cases, funding may also be available for related activities such as:

  • Legal and engineering fees
  • Land acquisition, water and land rights, permits and equipment
  • Start-up operations and maintenance
  • Interest incurred during construction
  • Purchase of facilities to improve service or prevent loss of service
  • Other costs determined to be necessary for completion of the project
  • See 7 CFR Part 1780.7 and 1780.9 for a complete list

What is the loan term and rate?

  • Up to 40-year payback period, based on the useful life of the facilities financed
  • Fixed interest rates, based on the need for the project and the median household income of the area to be served

Contact us for details and current interest rates applicable for your project

Are there additional requirements?

  • Borrowers must have the legal authority to construct, operate and maintain the proposed services or facilities.
  • All facilities receiving federal financing must be used for a public purpose.
  • Partnerships with other federal, state, local, private and nonprofit entities that offer financial assistance are encouraged.
  • Projects must be financially sustainable.

How do we get started?

Button image for RD Apply

  • Applications are accepted year round and may be filed electronically using RD Apply. The RD Apply Customer Help Guide is provided to help you get started and work through the application process
  • Applications are also accepted through your local RD office.
  • Program resources are available online (i.e., forms, guidance, certifications, etc.).

Who can answer questions?

  • Contact the local representative who serves your area
  • Participating nonprofits in your area may also offer assistance and training

What governs this program?

Why does USDA Rural Development do this?

This program helps very small, financially distressed rural communities extend and improve water and waste treatment facilities that serve local households and businesses. Good practices can save tax dollars, improve the natural environment, and help manufacturers and businesses to locate or expand operations.

NOTE: Program details may change over time. Before you begin an application, please confirm you have the most current information by contacting a program specialist in your local RD office for assistance or consult the program instructions listed in the section above titled "What Governs this Program?"

Forms & Resources

NOTE: Please ensure that your state is selected in the dropdown menu above to find the state office contact information, and speak to a program specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you time in completing your application.


Key WEP Engineering Resource Page


Individual states will have particular requirements based on state and local regulations. Please contact the local RD office in the state where your project is located.

Interest Rates

Current interest rates for 4st Quarter FY 2018, effective July1, 2018 to September 30, 2018

Poverty:  2.375%
Intermediate:  3.125%
Market:  3.875%


State Office:

Main Phone Number: (530) 792-5800

USDA Rural Development
Attn: Water Programs
430 G St, Agency 4169
Davis, CA 95616

Pete Yribarren, California Water Programs Director
(805) 863-9928

Lisa Butler, CP Specialist
(559) 754-3146

Christina Swegles, CP Specialist
(760) 948-4138

Mike Starinsky, Engineer
(530) 792-5814

Robert Neilson, Engineer
(559) 754-3156

Local Offices:

Northern California Region

Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Shasta and Tehama Counties
Mike Colbert, Alturas Office
(530) 233-4137 ext. 112

Angela Cross, Alturas Office
(530) 233-4137 ext. 113

Siskiyou and Trinity Counties
Kevin DeMers, Yreka Office
(530) 572-3162

Butte, Colusa, Glenn, and Sutter Counties
Colleen Crowden, Davis Office
(530) 792-5833

Alpine, El Dorado, Mono, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Solano and Yolo Counties
Doug Colucci
(916) 212-5088

Tenna Hungate, Davis Office
(530) 792-5815

Nevada, Placer, Sierra and Yuba Counties
Michael Velez, Auburn Office
(530) 217-6240

Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa and Sonoma Counties
Reef Atwell-Smith, Santa Rosa Office
(707) 536-0246

Quinn Donovan, Santa Rosa Office
(707) 536-0248

Central California Region

Amador, Calaveras, Mariposa, Merced, Stanislaus and Tuolumne Counties
Jose Guardado, Modesto Office
(209) 538-3783

Tonja Galentine, Modesto Office
(209) 287-3626

Fresno County
Sally Tripp, Fresno Office
(559) 490-8029

Inyo, Kern and Madera Counties
Antonio Ybarra, Fresno Office
(559) 490-8035

Kings and Tulare Counties
Lisa Butler, Area Specialist
(559) 754-3146

Southern California Region

San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties
Al Correale, Area Specialist
(805) 863-9938

Imperial, Orange, Riverside and San Diego Counties
Daniel Cardona, Imperial Office
(760) 355-2208 ext. 107
Luis Andrade, Imperial Office
(760) 355-2208 ext. 108

Alameda, Contra Costa,  Monterey & San Benito, San Mateo, Santa Clara & Satna Cruz Counties
Esther De La Cruz, Salinas
(831) 975-7736

Los Angeles & San Bernardino Counties
Christina Swegles
(760) 948-4138