U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Water & Waste Disposal Loan & Grant Program in California


What does this program do?

This program provides funding for clean and reliable drinking water systems, sanitary sewage disposal, sanitary solid waste disposal, and storm water drainage to households and businesses in eligible rural areas.

Who may apply?

This program assists qualified applicants who are not otherwise able to obtain commercial credit on reasonable terms. Eligible applicants include:

What is an eligible area?

Areas that may be served include:

What kinds of funding are available?

  • Long-term, low-interest loans
  • If funds are available, a grant may be combined with a loan if necessary to keep user costs reasonable.

How may the funds be used?

Funds may be used to finance the acquisition, construction or improvement of:

  • Drinking water sourcing, treatment, storage and distribution
  • Sewer collection, transmission, treatment and disposal
  • Solid waste collection, disposal and closure
  • Storm water collection, transmission and disposal

In some cases, funding may also be available for related activities such as:

  • Legal and engineering fees
  • Land acquisition, water and land rights, permits and equipment
  • Start-up operations and maintenance
  • Interest incurred during construction
  • Purchase of facilities to improve service or prevent loss of service
  • Other costs determined to be necessary for completion of the project
  • See 7 CFR Part 1780.7 and 1780.9 for a complete list

What is the loan term and rate?

  • Up to 40-year payback period, based on the useful life of the facilities financed
  • Fixed interest rates, based on the need for the project and the median household income of the area to be served

Contact us for details and current interest rates applicable for your project

Are there additional requirements?

  • Borrowers must have the legal authority to construct, operate and maintain the proposed services or facilities.
  • All facilities receiving federal financing must be used for a public purpose.
  • Partnerships with other federal, state, local, private and nonprofit entities that offer financial assistance are encouraged.
  • Projects must be financially sustainable.

How do we get started?

Visit RD Apply

  • Applications are accepted year round and may be filed electronically using RD Apply. The RD Apply Customer Help Guide is provided to help you get started and work through the application process
  • Applications are also accepted through your local RD office.
  • Program resources are available online (i.e., forms, guidance, certifications, etc.).

Who can answer questions?

  • Contact the local representative who serves your area
  • Participating nonprofits in your area may also offer assistance and training

What governs this program?

Why does USDA Rural Development do this?

This program helps very small, financially distressed rural communities extend and improve water and waste treatment facilities that serve local households and businesses. Good practices can save tax dollars, improve the natural environment, and help manufacturers and businesses to locate or expand operations.

NOTE: Program details may change over time. Before you begin an application, please confirm you have the most current information by contacting a program specialist in your local RD office for assistance or consult the program instructions listed in the section above titled "What Governs this Program?"

NOTE: Please ensure that your state is selected in the dropdown menu above to find the state office contact information, and speak to a program specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you time in completing your application.

Interest Rates

Current interest rates for 4th Quarter FY 2022, effective July 1, 2022.  

Poverty:  2.125%
Intermediate:  2.750%
Market:  3.500%

National Architect Requirements:

There are no other architect requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.

National Engineering Requirements:

Key WEP Engineering Resource Page


Individual states will have particular requirements based on state and local regulations. Please contact the local RD office in the state where your project is located.

There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.

State Office:

Main Phone Number: (530) 792-5800

USDA Rural Development
Attn: Community Programs
430 G St, Agency 4169
Davis, CA 95616

Lisa Butler, Community Facilities Programs Director
(559) 754-3146

Luis Andrade; Water Environmental Program Director
(760) 355-2208 ext. 108

Quinn Donovan, State Office Community Programs Specialist
(707) 536-0248

Judy Moran, Architect
(530) 204-7801

Mike Starinsky, Engineer
(530) 792-5814

Local Offices:

Del Norte, Siskiyou & Trinity Counties
Kevin DeMers, Yreka Office
(530) 572-3126

Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Shasta & Tehama Counties
Mike Colbert, Alturas Office
(530) 233-4137 ext.112

Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa & Sonoma

Reef Atwell-Smith, Santa Rosa Office
(707) 536-0246
Quinn Donovan, Santa Rosa Office
(707) 536-0248

Butte, Colusa, Glenn & Sutter Counties

Justin Garey, Davis
(530) 792-5834

Yuba County, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Solano & Yolo Counties
Robin Yasso, Auburn Office
(530) 217-6241

El Dorado, Nevada, Placer & Sierra Counties
Michael Vukas, Davis Office
(530) 792-5824

Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, Mono & Stanislaus Counties
Tonja Galentine, Modesto Office
(209) 287-3626

Sara Brookes, Modesto
(209) 287-3639

Fresno, King & Tulare Counties
Sally Tripp, Visalia Office
(559) 490-8029

Madera, Mariposa, Merced & Tuolumne
Antonio Ybarra, Fresno Office
(559) 490-8035

Alameda, Contra Costa, Monterey, San Benito, San Mateo,
Santa Clara & Santa Cruz Counties

Esther De La Cruz, Salinas Office
(831) 975-7736

Kern, Los Angeles, Inyo, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara & Ventura Counties
Al Correale, Santa Maria Office
(805) 863-9938

San Bernardino County, Los Angeles, Imperial, Orange, Riverside & San Diego Counties
Luis Andrade, Imperial Office
(760) 355-2208 ext. 108

Edgar O. Ortega, Imperial
(760) 355-2208 ext. 102

Roberto Palomino, Imperial
(760) 355-2208 ext. 101

There are currently no events scheduled.