U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Water & Waste Disposal Predevelopment Planning Grants in Vermont


What does this program do?

This program assists low-income communities with initial planning and development of applications for USDA Rural Development Water and Waste Disposal direct loan/grant and loan guarantee programs.

Who may apply?

  • Most state and local governmental entities
  • Nonprofit organizations
  • Federally recognized tribes

What is an eligible area?

  • Rural areas and towns with populations of 10,000 or less. Check eligible addresses
  • Federally recognized tribal lands
  • Colonias  

NOTE: The area must also have a median household income below the poverty line or less than 80 percent of the statewide non-metropolitan median household income

How may the funds be used?

  • Grants may be used to pay part of the costs of developing a complete application for USDA Rural Development Water & Waste Disposal direct loan/grant and loan guarantee programs.

What are the terms for grants?

  • Grants may not be used to pay for work already completed.
  • For projects eligible under several programs, the amount of the pre-development or SEARCH grant will be subtracted from the total grant eligibility as determined in underwriting for the water or waste disposal project.
  • These grants do not have to be paid back if the application for the USDA direct loan or loan/grant combination is not successful.
  • Grants are based on demonstrated need and subject to the availability of funds.
  • Partnerships with other federal, state and local entities are encouraged, and grants are awarded only when the applicant cannot afford to borrow the needed funds.

Is there a maximum grant amount?

Maximum of $30,000 or 75 percent of the predevelopment planning costs.

Are matching funds required?

Yes, at least 25 percent of the project cost must come from the applicant or third-party sources. In-kind contributions do not count toward this minimum.

How do we get started?

  • Applications for this program are accepted year round through your local RD office.
  • Program resources are available online (includes forms needed, guidance, certifications, etc.).

Who can answer questions?

  • Help is always available through your local RD office.
  • Participating non-profit associations also offer assistance and training.

What governs this program?

  • Code of Federal Regulations, 7 CFR 1780
  • Agricultural Act of 2014

2022 Vermont and New Hampshire Application Cycle

State Pool Deadlines (competitive):

  • Grant applications received until – December 17, 2021

National Pool Deadlines (more competitive):

  • Grant applications received until – April 15, 2022

The Vermont/ New Hampshire jurisdiction strongly encourages the use of RD Apply, our new electronic intake system. PPG's are limited to the maximum of $25,000 or 75% of total project costs, whichever is less. SEARCH limited to maximum of $30,000 with no match required (Fact Sheet). A complete online application will also include the uploading of the following documents on RD Apply:

  • Draft Engineering Agreement
  • For non-profit corporations, please also attach: Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws and Secretary of State Standing.
  • Audited Financial Statements (one year for municipal entities, three years for non-profit corporations)
  • Notice of intent to file application. See the directions for Public Informational Meeting.

Other considerations:

  • If you have not already secured a DUNS number (Data Universal Numbering System), you will as part of applying for this grant. This is a unique nine-character identification number assigned by the commercial company Dun & Bradstreet. There is no charge for this number and you can receive it immediately by calling 1-800-333-0505 or 1-800-234-3867 or 1-800-705-5711
  • Once you have secured your DUNS number, you will need to register on SAM (System for Award Management). See the Directions for SAM Registration.

Grant Eligibility: Eligibility is dependent on population size and area income. Contact your area specialist with questions about your community's eligibility.

NOTE: Please select your state in the dropdown menu above to find the state office contact information and speak to a program specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you valuable time in your application.

National Architect Requirements:

There are no other architect, engineering or environmental requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above. 

There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.

Rebecca Schrader, Lead Community Programs Specialist
87 State Street, Suite 324
P.O. Box 249
Montpelier, VT 05601
Phone: (802) 828-6032
Fax: (855) 794-3680


There are currently no events scheduled.