U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

USDA Seeks Applications for Farm Labor Housing Loans and Grants

Erin McDuff
Release Date

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Development is now accepting pre-applications for loans and grants to develop housing for year-round and migrant or seasonal domestic farm laborers.

Loans and grants provided through USDA's Farm Labor Housing Program may be used to construct off-farm rental housing for domestic farm laborers. Rural Development funding may also be used to purchase and substantially rehabilitate currently non-farm labor housing properties for conversion to farm labor housing.

The maximum award amount per project is $3 million. Farmers, associations of farmers, family farm corporations, associations of farmworkers and nonprofits, most state and local government entities, and federally-recognized tribes are eligible to apply.

Pre-applications must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. PST on August 30, 2019. Please note that acceptance by a post office or private mailer does not constitute delivery. In Oregon, applications should be submitted to the USDA Rural Development state office:

          USDA Rural Development
          ATTN: Diana Chappell, Multi-Family Housing Specialist
          1220 SW 3rd Avenue
          Suite 1801
          Portland, OR 97204

For additional information and details on how to apply, see page 32404 of the July 8, 2019, Federal Register. To discuss a project proposal prior to submitting an application, contact Diana Chappell, Multi-Family Housing Specialist, (503) 414-3351.