U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

USDA Seeks Applications for Technical Assistance Grants to Support Rural Water and Waste Infrastructure

Erin McDuff
Release Date

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Development is accepting applications for grants to help rural communities develop locally-based solutions and access financial resources to support water and waste infrastructure improvements. Grants are available through both the Solid Waste Management Program and the Water and Waste Disposal Technical Assistance and Training Grant Program.

Grants awarded through the Solid Waste Management Program may be used to provide technical assistance or training to improve the planning and management of solid waste systems in order to reduce pollution of water resources. Most state and local government entities, nonprofits, federally-recognized tribes, and academic institutions are eligible to apply for funding to assist rural communities with a population of 10,000 of less.

Through the Water and Waste Disposal Technical Assistance and Training Grant Program, qualified, private nonprofits can apply for grants to support the delivery of technical assistance and training to help rural communities with a population of 10,000 or less identify and evaluate solutions to water problems, improve the operation and maintenance of water or waste disposal facilities, and prepare applications for Rural Development funding.

Funding will be awarded in the fall of 2020. The grants will be available for use between October 1, 2020, and September 30, 2021. 

Applications for both programs are due by 9:00 p.m. Pacific Time on December 31, 2019. Applications will not be accepted by email or fax. Applications may be submitted electronically through grants.gov. In Oregon, paper applications should be submitted to the Rural Development state office:

          USDA Rural Development
          ATTN: Community Programs
          1220 SW 3rd Avenue
          Suite 1801
          Portland, OR 97204

For questions, or to discuss a potential application, contact Ella Nichols, Community Programs Specialist, (503) 414-3354.