The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Development invested $445.9 million in 2019 to build prosperity and strengthen Oregon's rural communities, announced State Director John Huffman today.
"This past year, Rural Development continued to invest in strategic projects to help improve the quality of life across rural Oregon," said Huffman. "We are proud of our work to partner with rural communities throughout the state to improve broadband infrastructure, housing, business and economic development, access to essential services like healthcare and clean drinking water, and electric infrastructure for more than 37,500 rural Oregonians."
Below is a summary of USDA Rural Development's Fiscal Year (FY) 2019 key accomplishments in Oregon:
- Invested $51 million to upgrade or expand electric infrastructure that will benefit nearly 700 consumers by improving electric service reliability and connecting new homes and businesses.
- Invested $21.2 million to expand access to safe drinking water or improve waste management systems, benefiting nearly 9,900 rural Oregonians.
Quality of Life
- Provided more than $278.5 million in homeownership loan guarantees to help more than 1,275 low- and moderate-income rural Oregon residents purchase a home.
- Invested $838,600 in distance learning projects that will make it easier for nearly 6,600 rural Oregon students to take advantage of education opportunities without having to travel long distances.
- Invested $232,000 in grants for essential community facilities and equipment—such as fire departments, city halls, and after school programs—that will benefit approximately 15,100 rural Oregon residents.
- Invested $33.6 million in Business and Industry loan guarantees that enabled businesses to create or save 150 rural Oregon jobs.
- Invested $7.7 million in 33 energy efficiency, renewable energy, and energy development assistance projects through the Rural Energy for America Program.
The funding is contingent upon the recipients meeting the terms of the loan and grant agreements.
USDA Rural Development provides loans and grants to expand economic opportunities and create jobs in rural areas. This assistance supports infrastructure improvements; business development; housing, community facilities such as schools, public safety, and healthcare facilities; and high-speed internet access in rural areas. Learn more at www.rd.usda.gov/or.