U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Economic Impact Initiative Grants in California


What does this program do?
This program provides funding to assist in the development of essential community facilities in rural communities with extreme unemployment and severe economic depression.

An essential community facility is one that provides an essential service to the local community, is needed for the orderly development of the community, serves a primarily rural area, and does not include private, commercial or business undertakings.

Who may apply for this program?

  • Public bodies
  • Non-profits
  • Federally-recognized Tribes 

What is an eligible area?

  • Rural areas including; cities, villages, townships, towns and federally-recognized Tribal Lands, with no more than 20,000 residents that have a “Not Employed Rate” greater than 19.5%
  • The median household income of a community being served must be below 90% of the state non-metropolitan median household income for grant eligibility
  • Grant assistance is based on a graduated scale determined by population, median household income, total project costs and financial need

How may funds be used?

To construct, enlarge or improve community facilities for health care, public safety and public service. Grants may be made in combination with other financial assistance such as a Community Facilities direct or guaranteed loan, applicant contribution or funding from other sources.

Examples of essential community facilities include:

  • Health Care: hospitals, medical clinics, dental clinics, nursing homes, assisted-living facilities
  • Public Facilities: city/town/village halls, courthouses, airport hangers, street improvements
  • Community Support Services: child care centers, community centers, fairgrounds, transitional housing
  • Public Safety: fire halls, police stations, prisons, jails, police vehicles, fire trucks, public works vehicles and equipment
  • Educational: museums, libraries, private schools
  • Utility:  telemedicine, distance learning
  • Local Food Systems: community gardens, food pantries, community kitchens, food banks, food hubs, greenhouses, kitchen appliances
  • For a complete list, see Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 3570.7

What kind of funding is available?

  • Grants up to 75% of eligible project cost based on need and funding availability
  • Applicant must be eligible for grant assistance, which is determined by the population and median household income of the service area
  • Grant funds must be available

Are there additional requirements?

  • Applicants must be unable to finance the project from their own resources and/or through commercial credit at reasonable rates and terms
  • Facilities must serve the rural area where they are/will be located
  • Projects must demonstrate substantial community support
  • Environmental review must be completed and determined to be acceptable
  • Priorities are given to projects related to public health and safety, energy efficiency and education

How do we get started?

  • Contact your local office to discuss your specific project
  • Applications for this program are accepted through your local office year round
  • Program resources are available online (includes forms, guidance and certifications)

Who can answer questions?
Contact your local office.

What governs this program?
Code of Federal Regulation; 7 CFR 3015, and 7 USD 1926 (a) (20) (B).

Why does USDA Rural Development do this?
This program helps very small, financially distressed rural communities extend and improve community facilities and public safety. These improvements save tax dollars, improve the natural environment and increase economic development as manufacturers and other types of businesses can locate or expand operations in the rural communities.

NOTE: Because citations and other information may be subject to change, please always consult the program instructions listed in the section above titled "What Law Governs this Program?" You may also contact your local office for assistance.

NOTE: If state specific forms are not shown above, please refer to the application materials listed below to start the process of applying. Please ensure that your state is selected in the dropdown menu above to find the State Office contact information for this program and speak to a Community Programs Specialist before attempting to fill out any forms or applications. This will save you valuable time in the process.

Application checklist for use with this program:

RD Form 1942-40, Checklist - Public Body (pdf) or

RD Form 1942-39, Checklist - Other Than Public Bodies (pdf)

There are no other additional requirements at the national level. If there are additional state-specific requirements they will be listed above.

State Office:

Main Phone Number: (530) 792-5800

USDA Rural Development
Attn: Community Programs
430 G St, Agency 4169
Davis, CA 95616

Lisa Butler, California Community Facilities Program Director
(559) 754-3146

Katie Schmitt, CP Specialist
(530) 792-5827

Lisa Butler, CP Specialist
(559) 754-3146

Christina Swegles, CP Specialist
(760) 948-4138

Lantenna Hungate, CP Specialist
(530) 792-5815

Judy Moran, Architect
(530) 204-7801

Mike Starinsky, Engineer
(530) 792-5814

Local Offices:

Alturas Office: Serving Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Shasta and Tehama Counties
Mike Colbert, Area Specialist
(530) 233-4137 ext. 112

Angela Cross, Alturas Office
(530) 233-4137 ext. 113

Auburn Office: Serving Nevada, Placer, Sierra and Yuba Counties
Michael Velez, Area Specialist
(530) 217-6240

Davis Office: Serving Alameda, Alpine, Contra Costa, Mono, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz Counties
Andy Jacobs, Area Specialist
(530) 792-5824

Elk Grove Office: Serving El Dorado, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Solano and Yolo Counties
Doug Colucci, Area Specialist
(916) 212-5088

Tenna Hungate, Area Specialist
(530) 792-5815

Fresno Office: Serving Fresno County
Sally Tripp, Area Specialist
(559) 490-8029

Fresno Office: Serving Inyo, Kern and Madera Counties
Antonio Ybarra, Area Specialist
(559) 490-8035

Imperial Office: Serving Imperial, Orange, Riverside and San Diego Counties
Luis Andrade, Area Specialist
(760) 355-2208 ext. 108

Daniel Cardona, Area Specialist
(760) 355-2208 ext. 107

Modesto Office: Serving Calaveras, Mariposa, Merced, Stanislaus and Tuolumne Counties
Jose Guardado, Area Specialist
(209) 538-3783

Tonja Galentine, Area Specialist
(209) 287-3626

Oroville Office: Serving Butte, Colusa, Glenn and Sutter Counties
Colleen Crowden, Area Specialist
(530) 792-5833

Phelan Office: Los Angeles and San Bernardino Counties
Christina Swegles, Area Specialist
(760) 948-4138

Salinas Office: Monterey and San Benito Counties
Esther De La Cruz, Area Specialist
(831) 975-7736

Santa Maria Office: Serving San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties
Al Correale, Area Specialist
(805) 863-9938

Santa Rosa Office: Serving Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa and Sonoma Counties
Reef Atwell, Area Specialist
(707) 536-0246

Quinn Donovan, Area Specialist
(707) 536-0248

Visalia Office: Serving Kings and Tulare Counties
Lisa Butler, Area Specialist
(559) 754-3146

Yreka Office: Serving Siskiyou and Trinity Counties
Kevin DeMers, Area Specialist
(530) 572-3126