U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Rural Development Disaster Assistance

New Disaster Resource Guide

The resource guide outlines USDA Rural Development (RD) programs and services that can help rural residents, businesses and communities impacted by disasters and support long-term planning and recovery efforts. | Resource Guides: PDF (English)  | PDF (Español)

FEMA is organizing all emergency housing and shelter assistance for those impacted by a natural disaster. You may contact FEMA at (800) 621-3362 (FEMA) or TTY (800) 462-7585 for potential additional assistance or at www.DisasterAssistance.gov.

Single Family Housing

For Housing Loan Borrowers

What is available to assist you if you have been impacted by a disaster and have a Rural Development (RD) Single Family Housing Direct loan?

  • Moratorium. If you have excessive, non-reimbursed expenses resulting from damage to your property, non-reimbursed medical expenses, or have lost your job as a result of the disaster, you may be eligible for a moratorium for up to 180 days where you are not required to make your house payment.

  • Insured Losses. If your property is damaged, please contact us to obtain a claims package that will explain how to work with your insurance agency and RD to process your claim.

  • Payment Assistance. If your income has been reduced by more than 10% and will be for the foreseeable future, you may be eligible for payment assistance or an increase in the assistance that you currently receive.

To request loan servicing assistance, contact the Customer Service Center (CSC) at (800) 414-1226
or TDD (800) 438-1832 Monday through Friday, 7:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Central Time. Email inquiries: rdquestion@stl.usda.gov. Please have your account number or social security number available when you call or write us:

  • USDA, Rural Development, CSC
  • Post Office Box 66889
  • St. Louis, MO  63166

Do not hesitate to contact your local RD State Office by email or telephone if you have questions.

What is available to assist you if you have been impacted by a disaster and have a Rural Development (RD) Single Family Housing Guaranteed loan?

Guaranteed loan borrowers in Rural Development areas that have been impacted by a natural disaster should:

  • Immediately contact your lender. Your lender will work closely with you on alleviating all matters regarding your situation.

  • File an insurance claim.

  • Apply for disaster assistance that may be available through FEMA, or state and local government. FEMA can be contacted at (800) 621-3362 (FEMA) or TTY (800) 462-7585. 

For Non-borrowers

  • FEMA Assistance. If you encounter circumstances where your personal insurance will not cover damage from the disaster, you may contact FEMA at (800) 621-3362 (FEMA) or TTY (800) 462-7585 for potential additional assistance or at www.DisasterAssistance.gov.

Multi-Family Housing Loan Borrowers

Multifamily housing property owners with USDA loans may be eligible for special servicing tools while their properties are being repaired. To request loan servicing assistance, contact Multi-Family Housing Specialists in your local State Office.

Community Facilities Loan Borrowers

Community Facilities (CF) program borrowers who are impacted by a natural disaster may be eligible for assistance to recover from financial hardships and minimize the potential for delinquency or liquidation by exploring various servicing options. Please contact Community Program Specialists in your local State Office for more information.

Community Facilities Grants – Availability of Disaster Relief Act 2019 Grant Funds

The Additional Supplemental Appropriations for Disaster Relief Act, 2019, Public Law 116-20, dated June 6, 2019, provides the Rural Housing Service’s Community Facilities  (CF) Program $150,000,000 in supplemental grant funding of which $150,000,000 is available for eligible CF applicants and eligible CF projects related to the consequences of Hurricanes Michael and Florence and wildfires occurring in calendar year 2018, tornadoes and floods occurring in calendar year 2019, and other natural disasters.  The grant funds will be administered in accordance with the Notice of Funds Availability (NOFA) dated 09/10/2019. Projects must be located in a county with a Major Disaster Declaration as described in the NOFA and the county must be designated by FEMA as eligible for Public Assistance. Please check the FEMA website for regular updates and names of additional counties that may be added.  Please contact Community Program Specialists in your local State Office for more information.

Rural Development New Release: USDA to Provide $150 Million to Help Rural Communities Affected by Natural Disasters

Business Owners

For additional resources, we are pleased to partner with the Small Business Administration: https://www.sba.gov/offices/headquarters/oda.

Emergency Community Water Assistance Grants

Rural communities of 10,000 or fewer people that have suffered a significant decline in the quantity or quality of drinking water may be eligible for Emergency Community Water Assistance Grants. For details, contact a Water program Specialist in your local State Office.

Letters to USDA Homeowners Impacted by Natural Disasters

Select from the dropdowns below to view the We Care Letters.